John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3303 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2013, 11:20 PM   #33021
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Nothing like water in the gas to make your day, but I sure wouldn't say I need to figure out how to make it run on contaminated fuel
No, you don't need to worry about that, but a well engineered car, that's intended to be used in "rough" areas of the world, would be far more attractive to purchase if the motoring engineers worked out an "invisible" solution to that ...

Frank
Old 19th January 2013, 11:28 PM   #33022
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Doors cd that I have just sounds like I am listening to a cheap stereo with terrible balance in the sound, no real bottom end to speak of and the top is irritating to say the least.
This is the "rough as guts" sound, which screams the word 'distortion' to me. If you listen as close to the tweeter as you dare while the album is playing, does it sound like metal shrapnel is being fired at your eardrum?

Frank
Old 19th January 2013, 11:46 PM   #33023
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Quick sim in PSUD2. That gives very good results compared with experiment, thus its popularity.

So, managed to break the -200dB barrier yet?

I can't get my autocorrect to inadvertently change 10,000uF to 0.1F. Or 3kHz to 6kHz. What was the trick?
No I mistyped .1. But let's try your math

.01 x .120 /(1/120) = .1 ?

Where did you get the 6K from?
Old 19th January 2013, 11:52 PM   #33024
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

From your post. I was working with 3kHz when you suddenly moved the goalposts.

Quote:
But let's try your math

.01 x .120 /(1/120) = .1 ?
That's your math, not mine.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:02 AM   #33025
diyAudio Member

Frank,
It isn't so much the top end that makes it sound unbalanced, it is the midrange and the bass section that is what I will describe as thin, lacking of warmth in the vocals and almost no lower bass to speak of. Now we all know that the Doors has a nice tight full bodied vocal with Jim Morrison singing and he sounds like he lost his voice........ I'll leave it at that and let the thread get back to the above dual that is going on. I'll check and see if there is a newer released version of this album, I looked and this cd was made in 1988. I bet it isn't even close to red book standards.

ps. maybe I just need to use a green marker on the edges and cryogenic treat it........JK
Old 20th January 2013, 12:11 AM   #33026
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
George,
Those results you just posted would seem to make a remote mounted trany a good idea or some form of shielding. How would you handle all of that in one of your own designs?
Not designs Steven, just implementations (amateur here).
A remote enclosure housing the x-former, bridges and the first smoothing capacitors is a good solution for me.
Wires carry row DC to the other enclosure where the PSU CRC stages (and/or voltage stabilizers) together with the amplifiers are located.
For low power or portable units, a wall plug enclosure housing x-former, bridges, small capacitors.
When I have to house the x-former in the same chassis with the amps, I take care of the orientation of the open side of the coils (main emitting area. The cores radiate much less) relative to the sensitive parts of the amp circuitry. Again bridges and first smoothing capacitors are very close to the x-former (plus twisted wires between them)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 015.jpg (409.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0409.JPG (601.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0335.JPG (620.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 20th January 2013, 12:11 AM   #33027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
From your post. I was working with 3kHz when you suddenly moved the goalposts.

That's your math, not mine.
I don't know why you want to confuse things.

The 6K is where the ESL of the .01F capacitor begins to make a significant difference. It affects total weighted value of the noise.

Now do you want to tell me C x V = Q is wrong!

Or that C dV/dT = dQ/dT ain't so. Or maybe that dQ/dT = i is wrong.

Last edited by simon7000; 20th January 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:20 AM   #33028
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll check and see if there is a newer released version of this album, I looked and this cd was made in 1988. I bet it isn't even close to red book standards.
And the album is ... ?

Newer versions are often worse, they made a mess of Led Zeppelin that way ...

If it ain't redbook the CD player will spit it out; the standard only dictates how the technical details of the musical "information" are organised.

Frank
Old 20th January 2013, 12:21 AM   #33029
diyAudio Member

gpapag,
Thank you fro the response. The orientation of the transformer make a lot of sense, I never though about the radiation pattern of its output from the windings. I see you have those funny European power cords, I guess that is why we aren't supposed to ship speakers with the binding post spaced for banana plugs so you can't plug the loudspeakers into the ac line outlets!
Old 20th January 2013, 12:31 AM   #33030
diyAudio Member

Frank,
The album is titled "The Doors". Elektra/Asylum This was my now departed wife's cd and it looks like it was one of those club produced cd's where you bought a bunch of cd's cheap. Perhaps that is part of the problem. It is utter trash.

Hide this!Advertise here!