Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 06:48 AM   #32331
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
From an engineering perspective, seconded without any doubt. From a marketing perspective the jury's still out - let's see how Mola Mola gets on...
Haha, yeah, I sure hope there is someone else doing the marketing.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:54 AM   #32332
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Haha, yeah, I sure hope there is someone else doing the marketing.
ROFLMAO - let's drink to that
Old 8th January 2013, 07:41 AM   #32333
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
I too can name many stuff
Good post Shaman syntekne

I trust Pavel will present us his chip amps dragons and class D demons , mostly these that are relevant to audio performance.
If not, I would say he drifts toward the “all you amateurs out there” mode.

George
PS. Shaman, who is this Andrew Jones at your signature? Did he provide adequate evidence for the quote?
Old 8th January 2013, 07:48 AM   #32334
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
George - its this one - andrew jones

As for Mola-Mola - here : http://www.audiophilejournal.com/mol...s-d-amplifier/

Last edited by abraxalito; 8th January 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:48 AM   #32335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
From an engineering perspective, seconded without any doubt. From a marketing perspective the jury's still out - let's see how Mola Mola gets on...
Marketing perspective eh? You are asking for trouble!
Who might Mola Mola be?

George
Old 8th January 2013, 08:09 AM   #32336
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I heard the Cabasse Sphere last year. It was loud and generally annoying the several times I heard over 2 days. It imaged in a rather interesting coherent manner, but it lacked finesse and detail.
Never hear them. But i'm surprised by your comments, i remember Cabasse produced *very good* Hifi enclosures in the 80s.
As they are equalized by an active filter, something was tuned in a bad way ?
What was the problem, lack of dynamic ?
Anyway, i was not referring to them for their sound, but the innovation's attempts. At least several things are perfect on an acoustical point of view: Spherical enclosure, coaxial drivers.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:24 AM   #32337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Telstar, with pleasure.

When the circumpherence of a piston is equal in size to one wavelength of sound, it enters the piston band, and for frequencies above, the radiation pattern begins to narrow or beam. The mechanisme behind this is that sound waves emanating from opposite sides of the driver start to interfere at a certain angle off axis.

With a d'Appolito setup, this beaming is assymetrical. Beaming will start on the vertical axis well before it starts in the horizontal plane. When you do the calculations for two 5" midwoofers, you will find that you need to cross over unrealistically low in order to prevent excessive beaming on the vertical axis.

This is the first reason why in my experience only small d'Appolito's work.

The second has to do with lobing as a result of the xover between mid and tweeter. The larger the acoustic distance between the two drivers, the narrower the central lobe becomes. This compounds the problem of beaming as mentioned before. Again a reason to keep it small.

The advantages can be twofold. The first one is that two coincident sound sources add up to +6dB, whereas the electrical energy put into it only doubles. 3dB of efficiency gain for the cost of one extra driver. This directly translates into less distortion. The second is that the vertical beaming can be put to some use, if controlled. .
This is an other way to explain what i said, i agree on all. With a detail, acoustic level at xover will not add 6db at high frequencies, but only ~3db.
I insisted several time, here, about the importance for the two speakers of the two ways, at the Xover, to have the same radiating diameter. Reason why i prefer horns.

The try of a more WAF enclosure for Aeria sytems:
MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...
finished in my home that way despite all the expected advantage of smaller diameter bass drivers (Upper cutoff frequency)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monenceinte.jpg (722.2 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Esperado; 8th January 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 10:46 AM   #32338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
PS. Shaman, who is this Andrew Jones at your signature? Did he provide adequate evidence for the quote?
Hi George,

This is the 2-part interview of Andrew Jones (Director and Chief Engineer of TAD Laboratories) I got the quote from:
Andrew Jones of Technical Audio Devices - Part one
Andrew Jones of Technical Audio Devices - Part two

Very interesting read IMHO. Has a lot of info about his life/career as well.
He's not a mathematician.

Last edited by TheShaman; 8th January 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:21 PM   #32339
diyAudio Member

Interesting interview, this guy is clever, not pedant and sympathetic. :-)
At the end, i wonder why designing for audio is so painful, with traps on every way you walk in.
Where each new track you can imagine to get rid of an inconvenience brings this own lot of negative effects.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:28 PM   #32340
diyAudio Member

There is hope in this life.
Engineers (these lowest level creatures) can have humour!
Shaman, thank you for the links. He is very good.
Excellent read.
Quite many points in there, have been addressed by Esperado and kgrlee here.

George

>Edit. Can anyone link to these papers of the "multi-source Uni-Q experiment" at KEF?

Last edited by gpapag; 8th January 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!