Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 08:00 PM   #32311
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Why, you have never heard best possible sound ......
Old 7th January 2013, 08:08 PM   #32312
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Demian, out of curiosity: What is a number that qualifies as a "medium" volume?

George
10,000 per quarter.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:12 PM   #32313
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
which was actually controlling the power supply rails to determine the gain
Clever.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #32314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
In the d'Apolito configuration, the distance difference between the two drivers out of axis provide accidents because phase/delay between them. Those will induce accidents in reflexions witch are 60% of the sound level reaching our ears.
Reason why Cabasse produced their 4 ways coaxial speakers with electronic delay to compensate the fact that the coils where not vertically aligned.

In my enclosures, as the crossover is very low in frequency, i do not worry about the vertical delay because the wave lenghs are large. Not the case where a tweeter start at 5Khz.
With a d'Appolito configuration, it is not so much a matter of accidents happening, but rather of some predictable laws at work. Understanding these laws and staying within their confines, this configuration may bring advantages for some setups. Not in full range though, just as mid/high section of a multiway.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 PM   #32315
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
If I have my facts straight the first person out of that group to commercialize a "pure" digital approach was Lars Risbo*. The product, the TacT Millenium, was not touting efficiency as much as sound quality. It had a cool level control, which was actually controlling the power supply rails to determine the gain, and had such good bearings that it attracted onlookers at shows to give it a big spin and see how long it kept rotating.
It worked well for them. TI bought them and integrated the technologies into TI's product lines and, per the CEO of TI, is completely delighted with the results, great management skills and a line of excellent amplifier products.

Our perch on the "Hi End" is starting to fall way behind what is happening in the mid price range. Multi-amped speakers with really sophisticated crossovers and eq doing things not even imaginable a few years ago. Decent drivers plus the sophisticated tuning possible can make for genuinely good speakers. The bigger challenge today is deciding what constitutes a good speaker in terms of response, balance etc. The ability to make it is not a challenge.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:37 PM   #32316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
but rather of some predictable laws at work. Understanding these laws
The law ouest of the Pecos ?
Old 7th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #32317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Sorry, these chipamps are really horrible. We are leaving more and more the track of high quality audio
PMA, as far as I can tell you fancy measurements yourself and you've called out JC a lot of times in this thread for talking about subjective, intangible, pseudo-engineering parameters.

So, please, enlighten us and point out parts of the measured performance presented (or left out) here:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf

...or here:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC1200_datasheet.pdf

...which indicate we are talking about a "horrible" and "not high quality audio" product.

Also what percentage of amplifiers marketed in the HiFi/HiEnd market do you consider better than the aforementioned units, and what is the average cost of said amplifiers?
Mind you, I'm not asking for a subjective evaluation - though I don't think you could provide one anyway since, judging by your stance, I gather you wouldn't even come near the NCores lest they permanently damage your hearing or something.

Last edited by TheShaman; 7th January 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 08:56 PM   #32318
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Multi-amped speakers with really sophisticated crossovers and eq doing things not even imaginable a few years ago.
I couldn't agree more, and this is a lesson that should be learned by high end audio, or it might perish i.m.o.

More loudspeaker manufacturers should start to offer the option for their speakers without passive Xover, but with an electronic xover/compensation box instead. And amplifier designers should start designing high end 4 channel amps for 2ways and 6 or 8 channels for moreways. But since both speaker and loudspeaker builders are locked into their present markets of big shiny boxes with solitary functions, this might not happen in time.
Old 7th January 2013, 09:02 PM   #32319
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
With a d'Appolito configuration, it is not so much a matter of accidents happening, but rather of some predictable laws at work. Understanding these laws and staying within their confines, this configuration may bring advantages for some setups. Not in full range though, just as mid/high section of a multiway.
Mind to elaborate a bit or point me to some references?
Old 7th January 2013, 09:12 PM   #32320
diyAudio Member

OK, far from high quality audio, but mind the concept:
Digital Input Class-D Power Audio Amplifier with DSP - Infineon Technologies

Hide this!Advertise here!