Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2013, 06:04 PM   #32091
diyAudio Member

Demian and I are having a personal dialogue about the nature of what is necessary to be successful in audio design. It is not about engineering.
Old 1st January 2013, 06:06 PM   #32092
diyAudio Member

George,
As always you seem to have the right references at the right time. You must have one hell of a library and indexing system to get to the point so fast. Makes me think that I am going in the correct direction with my thinking and the mechanical and electrical responses needed to accurately reproduce those high frequency sounds and all the rest of the bandwidth.

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to you.
Old 1st January 2013, 06:11 PM   #32093
diyAudio Member

John,
My take on success in the audiophile market is the main component is the marketing dollars needed to make yourself known and the quality of the ad type, not always a superior product. As a matter of fact some of the high dollar product is utter non-sense to say the least. That brings $100,000 loudspeakers to mind when all the devices are off the shelf devices except for cosmetic changes. You can sell anything if the buyer is vain enough to want to show off their wealth.
Old 1st January 2013, 06:22 PM   #32094
diyAudio Member

No, you MUST make a GREAT product as well.
Old 1st January 2013, 06:49 PM   #32095
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Great product is not enough at all. Marketing and right place is more important.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:03 PM   #32096
diyAudio Member

No, PMA, ALL are important. I may be luckier than many here, including you, because I have earned a reputation of audio design since the Levinson days in the early 1970's, but IF I don't make a really GREAT product, I will suffer, perhaps more silently compared to others, but our sales and reviewer rating will fail to materialize. Trust me.
PMA, I consider you an excellent engineer, as well as does Ed Simon. Just keep cutting at it, perhaps with someone with more essential ability to promote your product. I am SURE that locally, at least, you can beat us all in cost effective and QUALITY design. Just don't be TOO cost effective and presume that something that perhaps I might consider important is not important enough to do. Please remember you have to establish your reputation first, before you can see what you might be able to get away with, (like my Para. JC-3), and even the JC-3 is far more sophisticated than many realize.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:13 PM   #32097
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Demian and I are having a personal dialogue about the nature of what is necessary to be successful in audio design. It is not about engineering.
Mr. Curl
My Wishes for a Good New Year.

I may not read your post properly but it seems to me that you make a point on segregating engineering from audio design (I intentionally don’t pay any attention to the “successful” adjective) and neglecting at the same time the importance of psychoacoustics research findings on the audio design methodology

Although totally unimportant to anyone here, I find no rational in that route.

George
Old 1st January 2013, 08:31 PM   #32098
diyAudio Member

Engineering is great! Wonderful! So is Physics! But true success needs more than JUST engineering and physics. The only way that I know to get it right is to apply what listening experience with passive components and quality layout can give to 'improve' the design to sound its best.
Old 1st January 2013, 08:40 PM   #32099
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
George,
Steven
My wishes to you too.

My “library” is very small and the “indexing system” is my queer photographic memory (“I know I’ve seen it somewhere” )

I too consider as a most important goal to preserve the onset and decay of musical instruments “attack” as much as unaltered throughout the equipment chain.

The form of these transients though, do change through the air travel in the acoustic space and their perception image is affected by that space.
On this, four more pages from the same book (data is from 1960)

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 173-174.JPG (110.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 175.JPG (69.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 176.JPG (89.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 1st January 2013, 09:53 PM   #32100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
We made it! After the Mayan prediction, now we wait for the big earthquake! '-)
Hi John,
It isn't Mayan prediction, it's a wrong interpretation of the reason Mayan Calendar ended on December 2012. The Mayan didn't say the world will end, only their Calendar which was found stretched only up to December 2012.

That aside, it seems to me that our world on planet Earth isn't the best of all worlds, it is far from it. Only, I have no clue about how to amend, or improve it.

Hide this!Advertise here!