John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3193 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2012, 12:43 AM   #31921
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
If a CD player outputs 44,100 words per second along it's digital output, how many words does the DA have to decode? (per second)

What is the accuracy of the CD clock that is producing the words?

What is the accuracy of the DA's receive clock?

How do you make sure that they match?
Is this a trick question? IIRC the SPDIF standard provides 6 - 8 bit bites per time slice (44,100Hz).
Old 30th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #31922
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Is this a trick question? IIRC the SPDIF standard provides 6 - 8 bit bites per time slice (44,100Hz).
No,

But if you have the reference spdif is based on AES/EBU.

The issue is how do you synchronize clocks in a serial data transmission system.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:52 AM   #31923
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Richard, this is the main page: High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

What I've looked at so far is Haydn: String Quartet in D, Op. 76, No. 5 - Finale - Presto Engegårdkvartette, the 192 and 96 versions, which differed, wrongly IMO. Then, in the last round: B.Britten: Simple Symphony, Op. 4 - Boisterous Bourrée, TrondheimSolistene / Øyvind Gimse / Geir Inge Lotsberg / Anders Nilsson, here the 352.8 vs. the 96 examples. The latter has been badly resampled, or a different encoding method has been used...

The 352.8 track is stinking with ultrasonic rubbish, the waveform looks like you've got a nice little LC resonance in the neighbourhood, going along for a merry ride.

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 30th December 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:57 AM   #31924
diyAudio Member

Everyone, I hope that I do not give the impression that I, and I alone, designed everything useful for quality audio. No, I didn't, BUT I have found that reaching beyond the typical and usual, can bring derision from others who don't want to be bothered, and 5 years (typical) will find the SAME people claiming that they made a great engineering breakthrough based on what we originally argued over as being 'too far out' 'not worth the effort' etc.
To be clear: Scott Wurcer put out a significant amount of effort to provide a pretty good microphone for amateurs to build. When I mentioned that I had not learned anything new, it was essentially because I read ONLY part 1 of his tutorial. I still don't have part 2, so it is entirely possible that he has made an exceptional breakthrough that I am not yet aware of. I hope this settles the matter.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:23 AM   #31925
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No,

But if you have the reference spdif is based on AES/EBU.

The issue is how do you synchronize clocks in a serial data transmission system.
PLL, Oh Noooooooo jitter.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:31 AM   #31926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I still don't have part 2, so it is entirely possible that he has made an exceptional breakthrough that I am not yet aware of. I hope this settles the matter.

Part 2 does have more interesting circuits, I make no claim to exceptional breakthrough just applying things from other applications to the problem. The idea for using photo-voltaics for high voltage has been around. The military has used it for remote detonation by laser for a long time.

You can put the 200V bias supply in the mic and run it off of a couple of mA. I tried to present only things a DIY'er could easily reproduce.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:32 AM   #31927
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
PLL, Oh Noooooooo jitter.
And what happens to jitter when you upsample?
Old 30th December 2012, 01:37 AM   #31928
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And what happens to jitter when you upsample?
Please tell us. Nice to have you back ED I miss these side conversations, but for the record I find 16/44.1 produced as intended with unmodified equipment usually sounds just fine to me. In fact I have a few CD's played on an ordinary Philips CD player and a T-Amp into my Sequerra MET-7's that sound wonderful.
Old 30th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #31929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Everyone, I hope that I do not give the impression that I, and I alone, designed everything useful for quality audio. No, I didn't
Gasp! Surely you JEST!

Quote:
Scott Wurcer put out a significant amount of effort to provide a pretty good microphone for amateurs to build. When I mentioned that I had not learned anything new, it was essentially because I read ONLY part 1 of his tutorial. I still don't have part 2, so it is entirely possible that he has made an exceptional breakthrough that I am not yet aware of.
Hallelujah! HALLELUJAH!

Scott, at last fame and adulation as befits someone with our Lord JC's blessing

Even though its obvious he didn't even read the 1st article. Maybe he didn't read those B&K & AES articles either. Did he really explain kT/C to Harry Nyquist?
Old 30th December 2012, 02:11 AM   #31930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
Gasp! Surely you JEST!

Hallelujah! HALLELUJAH!

Scott, at last fame and adulation as befits someone with our Lord JC's blessing

Even though its obvious he didn't even read the 1st article. Maybe he didn't read those B&K & AES articles either. Did he really explain kT/C to Harry Nyquist?
Come on Richard, as a friend, lighten it up a little. Let's all have a happy holiday season.

Hide this!Advertise here!