Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2012, 09:44 PM   #31501
diyAudio Member

I might point out that the 'recommended' listening tests can't tell a 4558 from a 1000V/us IC, by the very nature of the test conditions demanded. That is why I don't use them. Esperado please note. '-)
Old 16th December 2012, 09:52 PM   #31502
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoman View Post
Do these 1000v/us CFA enter class AB operation on their input pairs when slewing this fast?

Thanks
-Antonio
In the alleged case above your post it s actually the VAS that
is working close to class C.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:02 PM   #31503
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default cool "Frakensitein's" Strawman - conflate several deliberate misinterpretations

Quote:
The 'irony' here is that I have one 'critic' stating here that 2V/us is all anybody really needs, in the form of a 4558...
actually the 1-2 v/us/V was from Quan's measurement data - the op amps that were too good to measure on his rig

I didn't propose Quun's tests as some fundamentally new arbiter audible circuit quality, didn't taunt people with "...just you see" when last year some pointed out he hadn't tested even the TL072, NE5534

do I have to find the posts? - the search will start with “find posts by username: John Curl”

and where did the 4558 enter the discussion – it doesn't manage 2 V/us/V for even 2 Vrms - there really aren't any defienders of its audio quality - wasn't it just proposed as an extremely poor op amp to comapre to

Last edited by jcx; 16th December 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:02 PM   #31504
diyAudio Member

Ron's test do test something UNIQUE, but they still do not have the sensitivity to measure differences in most of the 'better' IC's. The test residual is still too high, but it is just a beginning.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #31505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I might point out that the 'recommended' listening tests can't tell a 4558 from a 1000V/us IC, by the very nature of the test conditions demanded. That is why I don't use them.
Dunno about 1000V/us IC but I'm confident the 'recommended' listening test can distinguish between Blowtorch & evil 4558 ... and more important allow a reliable judgement of which sounds better.

JC, I'm open to suggestions on how to improve my ABC Blind Listening Test. So far, it looks like it answers most of the criticisms that various posters have brought up.

In the meantime , are you releasing your Hirata test results on Blowtorch?

When are you going to let Quan test Blowtorch and show it is beyond blame?
Old 17th December 2012, 01:56 AM   #31506
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Richard, look to the input stage devices of your headphone amp. Would you like to put the numbers up here for us to discuss?
Sure; what type number(s) are you interested in??
Old 17th December 2012, 02:24 AM   #31507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I might point out that the 'recommended' listening tests can't tell a 4558 from a 1000V/us IC, by the very nature of the test conditions demanded.
This is not what MY EARS tell. And many others.
Old 17th December 2012, 02:59 AM   #31508
diyAudio Member

But is is sooo simple, John. Take any low THD current feedback OPA at 1000V/µs and enough drive capability for your charge, at any gain between 1 and 10, listen, compare with a strait wire and make yourself your mind.
Since how many years had-you stopped to try things and stay stuck on your 35 year's old convictions ?
Old 17th December 2012, 03:04 AM   #31509
diyAudio Member

Tell that to an engineer, and note the response. '-)
Old 17th December 2012, 03:05 AM   #31510
diyAudio Member

Richard, I don't have YOUR headphone schematic handy, but if I remember, you used a pair of complementary jfets as your input stage. What were their numbers, please? Then a discussion can follow.

Hide this!Advertise here!