John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 11:50 PM   #30991
diyAudio Member

Sy,
I lived with Flora and Airto when they lived in Santa Barbara. He now lives five minutes from me here in the Hollywood Hills. I am still good friends with the family and his daughter was my girlfriend at the time. We are still very good friends. Flora is now living back in Brazil as the US government told her she had overstayed her visa and can not longer come back into the country. I talked to her on the phone about two months ago and she invited me down to Brazil to stay with her. I used to call her mom some times. So you can imagine the musicians that were in that house for rehearsal! Many of the best in Jazz and I meet many of their friends and got to sit and listen to them just play for fun. Mark Egan was an excellent bass player and some others that they played with. Airto and Flora's other daughter is married to George Duke's son, we are all friends. Very small world isn't it......
Old 6th December 2012, 11:54 PM   #30992
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
just a shame about where the industry is at the moment
It is a crime against humanity. Money killed the video star.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:55 PM   #30993
diyAudio Member

fas42,
What go me as much as anything was when I would watch an engineer take a recording and listen on the original NS-10 or even a set of Auratones and attempt to make the sound good there. This was just mixing for the lowest common denominator. All semblance of quality in the recording went right out the window. I could care less if a recording sounded okay on a piece of junk, but as Christophe alluded to that is part of some much of this commercial industry.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:00 AM   #30994
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Sy,
I lived with Flora and Airto when they lived in Santa Barbara.
Cool! We were sharing converted migrant worker barracks on Montecito Street, right next to Beveridge and Roger Modjeski. He had a bassist then whose name I *think* was Mike Epstein, a really fine player as well. When we heard them start up, we'd always find an excuse to drop our work and go listen. Really, really nice folks. You have good taste in friends!
Old 7th December 2012, 12:05 AM   #30995
diyAudio Member

Kindhornman and SY, Thank you for giving me back years ago for a little nostalgic moment.I miss too bad those private moments with friends musicians.So intimate, out of the show.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:15 AM   #30996
diyAudio Member

Quote:
listen on the original NS-10 or even a set of Auratones and attempt to make the sound good there.
He he.
Jumping from a studio to an other, while the big studio monitors can be unbalanced, it was the only way to be sure the global balance tonality was ok,, in a little enclosure you known perfectly, and be sure you can follow the basses line where no real basses available :-)
Now, some mix on NS10, in home studios !!!!!!

Last edited by Esperado; 7th December 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:19 AM   #30997
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
Those are cherished moments aren't they. And at the same time we really learned what music is supposed to sound like and the real sound of all those instruments. Another person who I met who died years ago was Joe Farrell. One of the great horn players of all time. He was also in the band and so I do know what a horn is supposed to sound like. There is nothing like that type of experience for any sound engineer or audio designer. Rock and Roll was another world all together and that was most of my experience with live PA sound. Many years sitting at the mixing console or up on stage listening to some of the best.

Steven
Old 7th December 2012, 12:37 AM   #30998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... on stage...
Respect !
Stage monitoring ? May-be the most difficult work in all audio show business ...
Old 7th December 2012, 01:11 AM   #30999
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
Two of the horns in my avatar were originally designed to be used in a three way stage monitor. When things were still two-way for every commercial monitor. It was a 1" compression driver and a 6 1/2" cone driver horn and a single 15" JBL usually. Very nice dispersion on stage without causing feedback problems. I just moved those designs into a consumer package and added a horn loaded dome tweeter to fill in the top over the 1" compression driver. The bass became a 10" down-firing bass reflex. The avatar isn't the final product, I increased the bottom section for more space, I think it was about a cubic meter.
Old 7th December 2012, 01:42 AM   #31000
wayne is online now wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

John just got my Absolute sound and I see you have another product of the year.

Hide this!Advertise here!