John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 3098 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 07:26 PM   #30971
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Christophe,
Do you mind posting your comparison system on here?
It was inspired by the first first stage of my protection system, > 20 years old: [COLOR=#0000FF ]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...-new-post.html[/COLOR]
Followed by a linear amplifier circuit amplifying the error content to can listen-to via headphones, or record-it, or look at it on a scope. On simple box with two volumes, one to equalize the levels, one to fine tune them.

SY, how do you look sooo young ? I imagined-you 40.

Last edited by Esperado; 6th December 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:34 PM   #30972
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
SY, how do you look sooo young ? I imagined-you 40.
Interesting guess..

jn
Old 6th December 2012, 08:15 PM   #30973
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
Interesting guess..

jn
Very interesting, if I'm not mistaken, he is still one year and one week older than me. If he looks like he's 40, it must be the result of distortion.

Cheers
Stein
Old 6th December 2012, 08:20 PM   #30974
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinius View Post
Very interesting, if I'm not mistaken, he is still one year and one week older than me. If he looks like he's 40, it must be the result of distortion.

Cheers
Stein
Still??

You mean, there are options???

jn
Old 6th December 2012, 08:27 PM   #30975
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinius View Post
it must be the result of distortion.
Looking in my mirror, i see somebody i don't recognize. I believe my mirror is too old and need to be replaced.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:30 PM   #30976
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Kevin, my staff will be astonished that there's anyone out there older than I am.
Right.
Old 6th December 2012, 08:31 PM   #30977
diyAudio Member

Christophe,
Perhaps the mirror is out of phase.
Old 6th December 2012, 09:03 PM   #30978
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Christophe,
Perhaps the mirror is out of phase.
You are right: Turning-it to present the back side: everything looks better :-)
Old 6th December 2012, 09:36 PM   #30979
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
If some try to record the way you propose, you will have poor sounding, boring and incoherent records.
Just to give-you an idea: how can-you hear a singer in the same time than a heavy metal guitar ? No way.
You have to tune their levels, presences, reverberations, to create a credible landscape. Some instruments are masked by others in the mixs, to let you able to listen to some details of those ask a huge work, torturing their response curves and dynamic.
Some instruments are poor sounding, and the work of the sound engineer is to make them very nice.
At the end, the record you feel recorded in a huge hall, had often been recorded in a little studio, and many musicians had not even meet them during the recording sessions.
As regards recording a drum kit, this is highly instructive: - Less Is More - Minimal Drum Miking : Recording Magazine -. Note particularly the sequence leading to the last paragraph ...

Plus, some time ago was reading about the efforts of a chap who records musical groups in a natural acoustic space, and releases the results, with a single microphone pair. Yes, a pure stereo pair, on a group with vocalist, electric guitars and drums. How is it done? By using placement and distancing of the musicians from the mic's techniques. And it is very effective by all accounts, a very natural perspective is heard. Unfortunately, can't track down the website at the moment, will mention it if I find it yonder ...

Frank
Old 6th December 2012, 09:55 PM   #30980
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That being the case after the recording is finished I can not see any way that any hifi system can then make something better than it is at that point. You could change something, remove to much high frequency content or boost the bass if that is what you want but that is no longer a true reproduction of what is in the recorded music. You can not make a bad recording good, if you have subjectively done that you have change it from its original final form.
Again, this is not the way it is. A "bad" recording sounds obnoxious IF the reproduction system compounds the problem by injecting yet further distortion into the mix. The type of distortion added in playback is of a very different kind from that in the recording, and the listener's poor brain overloads trying to sort it out -- a fast road to hearing fatigue.

So, the idea is not to make the recording better; it is, to not make it any worse than it already is, and that's the hard bit. Most systems are far from clean, and that just makes the chances of enjoying a difficult recording that much less. It only takes one experience of hearing a supposed poor recording completely come to life to realise that so much poppycock is said of such things ..

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!