John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2990 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 11:57 AM   #29891
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Audiophile signal link cables where shield is connected only at one end are not allowed if you fight with EMI/RFI.
I don't agree on that.
The magnetic field generated by any current in the cable shield create a parasitic signal in the signal wire. Less if the - is carried by a // wire.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:14 PM   #29892
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Many do not agree, but just measure above 10MHz and you will see that a shield connected at one end only does not work and is inefficient. For low frequencies, it is OK. I have dozens of cable measurements that confirm what I am saying.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:22 PM   #29893
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Then perhaps we could connect with a small cap at the far end to deal with frequencies above 10Mhz ??
Old 25th November 2012, 12:24 PM   #29894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Many do not agree, but just measure above 10MHz and you will see that a shield connected at one end only does not work and is inefficient. For low frequencies, it is OK. I have dozens of cable measurements that confirm what I am saying.
Connected to the output device, of course ? I had not made measurements, but all my system is connected that way. Dead silent, no HF.
Of course, i use symmetrical cables with some coper, not thin ones.
Preamp and amp are flat up to > 2Mhz.
I filter the amp inputs after that with a low pass network at the input. (~200Khz)
11 devices are connected: Turntable, CD player, Minidisk, DAT, K7, Tape recorder, Tuner, Digital active filter, preamp, computer, amp.
I use ferrite on all connectors near outputs.
[edit] Computer use optical connections, no ground connection.

Last edited by Esperado; 25th November 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:03 PM   #29895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Then perhaps we could connect with a small cap at the far end to deal with frequencies above 10Mhz ??
Only a partial help. Any shield discontinuity is a big problem for HF EMI suppression.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:18 PM   #29896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
mmmm - I think we're picking at nits here . . . it all depends upon the magnification factor - if it high enough almost any stimulus will set it off but it's not important . . . . .

I just had hoped that one or some you professionally trained guys could explain to me how a circuit tending towards resonance at 15Mhz for example ends up making an amp sound rough in the audio band - that's something I experienced but never really understood. If no one understands it that's fine I'll stop thinking about it.

In the meantime I'll start reading the thread from the beginning to see what I can learn

cheers
I'm just saying that you have not posed a problem in enough detail so there is someting to discuss, fairly anecdotal observations are not enough.

As a counter example I once built a Borbley FET follower a forgot to bypass it, it oscillated at 60MHz but still sounded fine. Even John has stated that simple circuits (especially those using high capacitance JFET's) often need better power supplies.

I see no arguments against circuit complexity, after all is a cascode complexity? A Siklai pair (quite popular here ) is well known to have stability concerns, a simple emitter follower can oscillate with a nasty load (speaker?), the list goes on.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:19 PM   #29897
diyAudio Member

PMA, can-you develop ? Any issue in your measurements from an another source to justify that ? Any ground loop ?
The two units are ground referenced by the cold wire, shield is only here to avoid induced RFI/EMI in the cable to return in the feedback loop of the source.
Old 25th November 2012, 02:19 PM   #29898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
it oscillated at 60MHz but still sounded fine.
Like everybody here, i have often experienced unwanted oscillation problems with a little help from Mr. Murphy. Even at high level.
As long as it don't drive the audio signal to clip, most of the time, it do not change the sound texture a lot, with correct audio circuits, on my experience. Well i can feel them, sometimes, by a strange feeling, something white in my brain i can't explain, discomfort.
If the sound is greatly changed i thing it is because some circuit tend to IM, not fast enough to follow the signal, while the hf is not enough filtered ?
As each configuration/circuit is different, it is hard to generalize any experience; but i don't believe in magic like some part in a loop witch 'tend to oscillate'. i believe we know all with a square wave on a fast scope.
If there is some oscillation at very high HF, you will see-it on the clipping level in the audio signal. Right ?
And if it is low level, you don't have to allow 60Mz signals to enter the first stage of your power amp. Right ?
Old 25th November 2012, 03:30 PM   #29899
diyAudio Member

This was a <100mV parasitic oscillation, I figure the FET's were so linear that it did not matter IN THIS CASE.

I think they are called reflex radios, one transistor is RF amp, oscillator, mixer, and AF amp all at the same time, what could be simpler?
Old 25th November 2012, 03:31 PM   #29900
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
As a counter example I once built a Borbley FET follower a forgot to bypass it, it oscillated at 60MHz but still sounded fine.
Scott, I hope you would not mind if I post a measurement of 250MHz oscillations in a BJT preamp ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Scren113_d2.gif (17.9 KB, 126 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!