John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2944 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2012, 08:47 PM   #29431
diyAudio Member

Jack Bybee and I just had a BIG LAUGH on the phone about wire quality re Dick Sequerra. Be careful, Scott, or I will give you even newer input for you to ponder. '-) I told Jack that you have ENOUGH on your plate, and new input would just be teasing. Don't make me regret, holding it back from you.
Old 17th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #29432
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Signal propagates as a field along the wire
Dielectric's mystery solved
Old 17th November 2012, 09:00 PM   #29433
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Room Correction (DRC) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Re DRC -- this similar in character -- finding advanced ways to hide speaker distortion. [The cost to develop and impliment may be more than the cost to improve the loudspeaker.] Although, I guess from all the work being done on ways to hide the gross distortion, that inherantly better dynamic drivers is at a dead end now - reducing distortion in dynamic drivers is as far as we can go for all practical purposes thus these manuevers. No doubt it can make really cheap speakers sound better.

The method is bothersome to those wanting more dynamics and less compression, and bass at low distortion.... ".... a second goal ... is to develop an algorrithm that varies the amount of bass fed to the loudspeaker as a function of playback level so that the best possible sound is obtained." I dont think so... Not for me. It could raise the level of performance at the low end and close the wide performance gap between the 98 and the 2 percenters. Thx- RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 17th November 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:04 PM   #29434
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

.... and works in one particular point of listening space (room) only.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:18 PM   #29435
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
Christophe, lets see if he really has courage

Kgrlee

When I read J.Curl latest tribune to the perfect wire, I felt the need to protest for the elitism. I didn’t, as it would be the nth time (i.e. pointless).
On the other hand, I don’t think that you act wisely.
Mr Curl has not stepped back in real-life hard confrontations.
He has proved that he has courage. Do a reading of his professional life.

George
Old 17th November 2012, 09:45 PM   #29436
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Signal propagates as a field along the wire
Dielectric's mystery solved
Old Fathers were teaching differently:
Signal propagates as a field within the dielectric(s), terminating at the wires (or confined by them, or guided by them). The higher the wire conductivity, the less the field loss (drain). But no point to fight for IACS 99.999%. IACS conductivity 99.99% is OK. They focused on what happens between the wires (dielectrics) instead.

George
Old 17th November 2012, 10:20 PM   #29437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Dick Sequerra referred me to early books on crystal alignment, found by X-ray studies. Got any ideas?
Mr. Curl

Copper crystals and their orientation due to the way wires are manufactured, was and is observable through optical microscopes after metallographic preparation.
No need for x-ray diffraction techniques.

But you are right. Scott may really know a few things about wires (e.g. “electron wind”)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1ITq8j6v8O9QKg

George
Old 17th November 2012, 10:39 PM   #29438
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
This loudspeaker cable question look like a pure nonsense to me, and if something is unpleasant in the way my (imperfect) equipment reproduce the (imperfect) records i like, i will try to correct-it with effective methods.
Again, we're having a problem considering connecting cable as being a component. It is not perfect, it does have electrical properties, and in particular it has 2nd order material related problems. People who have to connect microphones to long leads would not be happy if told they had to use any old cable that was on hand, and the issues in audio reproduction are in the same realm. Of course, with the former a "problem" is obvious, someone steps on a cord and unpleasant sounds emerge from the speaker. Well, just consider that the unpleasantness is not obvious, it's relatively low level, and constant, just enough to make one version of a system sound better than another, with focused listening.

I can instantly "ruin" the quality of sound from my system by adjusting how any of the cables are precisely set up within their environment, although nothing in the normal electrical sense has altered one iota. But, what will have been altered is how the materials of the cable and their environment interact.

What do I mean by "ruin"? That the sound will go from something that can be run indefinitely at high volumes and be pleasurable, to that increasingly irritating, typical hifi sound that makes one turn down the volume control after a short period of time ...

Frank
Old 17th November 2012, 10:52 PM   #29439
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Also, I would be interested in comments from those expert in this field, on this situation: a multi-strand, say 256 strands, cable connects two points, and for whatever reason a single strand at one end goes, or is open circuit -- less than perfect soldering, metal fatigue from too much handling, whatever. Now, to me that looks like a pretty good RF antenna, which to some degree is shorted out by resting against other bits of copper. Depending on vibration, level of oxidising, and just about everything else you can think of.

Is there a definitive answer on what happens here?

Frank
Old 17th November 2012, 10:59 PM   #29440
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Jack Bybee and I just had a BIG LAUGH on the phone about wire quality re Dick Sequerra. Be careful, Scott, or I will give you even newer input for you to ponder. '-) I told Jack that you have ENOUGH on your plate, and new input would just be teasing. Don't make me regret, holding it back from you.
I won't lose any sleep over it.

Hide this!Advertise here!