John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2907 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 09:35 PM   #29061
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post
When you hear and “learn” that “amplified” acoustic signature, often you can also then hear it when you listen to the speaker playing live.
This is something I've become very sensitive to, meaning that most systems get the thumbs down immediately when I listen ...

Frank
Old 7th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #29062
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Tu et feu! '-)
In French, it means "You and fire."
Is what you wanted to say ?
Old 7th November 2012, 09:59 PM   #29063
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
In French, it means "You and fire."
Is what you wanted to say ?
More likely to be "fou!" = mad
Old 7th November 2012, 10:09 PM   #29064
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the correction.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:12 PM   #29065
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post
... One interesting part was that some speakers sounded bad just hearing them through a measurement mic and good headphones ... Out doors with no close reflections you hear / measure the loudspeaker itself, when you place it in a room, you add the room and now the system’s directivity and placement in the room plays a VERY strong role in governing how fast everything falls apart.
I see yus guys haven't bothered to read Absolute Listening Tests-Further Progress

Not that I'd expect anyone to believe stuff from beach bums.

The interesting bits are what was expected and what was unexpected. It shows the Room Interface Profile as most important and practically everything we measure at 1m on treble unit axis bla bla (or your favourite prejudice) as almost irrelevant. In fact Tom Danley's youTube link shows that quite clearly.

Quote:
The best part (I prefer good headphones for this) is that you capture sounds around your house that you are totally familiar with and at times they can make the hair stand on the back of your neck (if your also prone to that kind of response).

I used to have some recordings on our old web site using a stereo capture array thing I am working on. Nothing exciting just stuff from around the yard like a train, motorcycle and fireworks. It’s still kind of cumbersome to move around so these were “organic” sounds haha. I hope they will eventually put them back up when the webtoids are working on it, I was pleased with the “space” they captured.
There's a treasure chest of such recordings at ambisonia.com These are Ambisonic surround recordings and you need a decoder to hear them in stereo, your zillion.1 system or headphones. Try VVM or Harpex.

ajh for classical, pwhodges for choral stuff, soundmanjohn for effects .. though I'm wary of typecasting as there's loadsa good stuff here. No compression and some of the best recordings I know.

Let me know what you think if you have a listen.

Last edited by kgrlee; 7th November 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:25 PM   #29066
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
I see yus guys haven't bothered to read Absolute Listening Tests-Further Progress
And for us tightar**s, what did it have to say ...?

Frank
Old 7th November 2012, 10:26 PM   #29067
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried, but it looks like some private club restricted access.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:38 PM   #29068
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I tried, but it looks like some private club restricted access.
Alas, as a beach bum, I've been chucked out of the club. But I'm sure Mr. Danley is still a member .. as are those of you with stocks of 62' Yquem. I'm drooling as I type this.

Quote:
And for us tight ar**s, what did it have to say ...?
That the measured performance @ 1m on treble axis (or whatever your prejudice is) is good enough on a small number of 'good' speakers. This applies to 'advanced' measurements like waterfalls & other bells & whistles too, some of which I've been privileged to help develop.

Not perfect, but the faults here are NOT what makes a speaker sound like a speaker instead of the 'real thing'.

The Room Interface Profile is the sonic signature of the speaker which remains unchanged when you listen to it in different rooms. This is clearly audible and allows experienced listeners to identify a speaker they are familiar with. ie This is what makes a speaker sound like a speaker.

Last edited by kgrlee; 7th November 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:01 PM   #29069
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Alas, as a beach bum, I've been chucked out of the club..
Attached Images
File Type: gif bum.gif (62.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 11:18 PM   #29070
diyAudio Member

Quote:

That the measured performance @ 1m on treble axis (or whatever your prejudice is) is good enough on a small number of 'good' speakers. This applies to 'advanced' measurements like waterfalls & other bells & whistles too, some of which I've been privileged to help develop.

Not perfect, but the faults here are NOT what makes a speaker sound like a speaker instead of the 'real thing'.

The Room Interface Profile is the sonic signature of the speaker which remains unchanged when you listen to it in different rooms. This is clearly audible and allows experienced listeners to identify a speaker they are familiar with. ie This is what makes a speaker sound like a speaker.
Thanks for that ...

Next problem, "Room Interface Profile", gives me 3 results in Google, all useless ...

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!