John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2906 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 05:43 PM   #29051
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
In the last 2 days, I talked to two of my associates who helped design and run the GD PA system those 40 years ago, and we all laughed at the response we got from JBL at the time. They did NOT appreciate our input, then. Later, they discovered a way to improve things. That is the way of things. '-)
The way of things is, they exploited design and fashion that J.B.Lansing made common back in 1930'th when he manufactured speakers for moving pictures. He got it in turn from gramophones that were already common then so nobody questioned the decision.

It is inertia John.
Old 7th November 2012, 06:36 PM   #29052
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
It is inertia John.
They are still alive. How much of their 1970's competitors all over the world ?

Last edited by Esperado; 7th November 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 06:41 PM   #29053
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
It is inertia John.
There is also the possibility that they did not have the talent to understand what it was JC was telling them, understand it, model it, and fix it.

jn
Old 7th November 2012, 06:52 PM   #29054
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
There is also the possibility that they did not have the talent to understand what it was JC was telling them, understand it, model it, and fix it.

jn
While I was at Harman/JBL I saw firsthand the pushing aside of some really smart engineers. It was just like school clique stuff.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #29055
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinix View Post
While I was at Harman/JBL I saw firsthand the pushing aside of some really smart engineers. It was just like school clique stuff.
Smart engineer...

Isn't that an oxymoron??

jn
ps..and yes, I'm an engineer.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:13 PM   #29056
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
Or may be they had a talent that understood that for continuing the business it is better not to stop production that is still in demand for the majority of potential customers in order to satisfy one of them.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:25 PM   #29057
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Then note the distortion and see that it INCREASES with frequency significantly.
Happily, musical power level contents decrease with frequency, in the same time.

Last edited by Esperado; 7th November 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 07:32 PM   #29058
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Happily, musical power level contents decrease with frequency, in the same time.
Statistically. But we don't listen to a pink noise, do we? While sales people on JBL don't sell stuff to individuals, they sell for masses and measure success statistically.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:10 PM   #29059
diyAudio Member

About JBL, why to be crossed about them ? They produced quality pro speakers, well manufactured. And even if i don't liked the sound of their 70's monitors enclosure, i have to admit they allowed to produce very good mixes, at the end. For a freelance sound engineer, it is easter to work, form a studio to an other, with the same reference. In post prod movie auditoria, in France, we use to even tune the volume to a standard same SPL for 0dB. All that explain this inertia you are referring to.

About Horn, they are only a very effective way to increase efficiency, as well to control directivity. We don't have to confuse our comments about horns with comments about the driver behind (compression Vs cone).
Adding a (good) horn to any speaker just reduce distortion because it will run at less power for the same SPL. And better damping.

Last edited by Esperado; 7th November 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:33 PM   #29060
diyAudio Member

Tu et feu! '-)

Hide this!Advertise here!