John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2878 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 04:29 AM   #28771
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Similarly, class AB amps shake chairs, while class A is standing in the corner, waiting for cold winter nights...
So true.
My next amp, if any, will be class D.
And just to worry about triangle, comparator and filter. (emoticon here)
Old 1st November 2012, 04:38 AM   #28772
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
So true.
My next amp, if any, will be class D.
And just to worry about triangle, comparator and filter. (emoticon here)
35 years ago I thought that class A is the history. May be it is the time now?
Old 1st November 2012, 04:41 AM   #28773
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

The "gruntiest" amplifier I've come across recently was Bryston's 28BSST -- boring class AB, you can download the schematic from the manufacturer. There's "magic" in some of the implementation, which are key to making it happen, but it demonstrates that just doing things conventionally in an overall sense is sufficient ...

Frank
Old 1st November 2012, 04:50 AM   #28774
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Conventional things Frank can be done right sometimes.
Old 1st November 2012, 05:38 AM   #28775
diyAudio Member

I've listened to 40 years of Bryston amplifier evolution. Compared to Pass, Ayre, Parasound, Audio Research and other well regarded competition i find them grainy, lacking resolution, and even harsh souding on a variety of speakers. Bryston's seemingly overly positive reviews may have more to do with the size of their advertising budget than their technical and audible accomplishments.

Bryston's famed "discrete " preamp topology is a 3 stage simple discrete opamp coupled through 4 to 6 aluminim caps per channel, an entire preamp is powered by a single pair of fixed voltage three terminal regulators from an unsophisticated raw supply.
Old 1st November 2012, 06:08 AM   #28776
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I've listened to 40 years of Bryston amplifier evolution. Compared to Pass, Ayre, Parasound, Audio Research and other well regarded competition i find them grainy, lacking resolution, and even harsh souding on a variety of speakers. Bryston's seemingly overly positive reviews may have more to do with the size of their advertising budget than their technical and audible accomplishments.
Perhaps you can teach an old dog new ..... have you actually listened to these units? Bryston of late seems to have learnt a few tricks, there's been a marked turnaround of opinion recently -- check out the 6moons review.

Those adjectives you use can be ascribed to virtually any amplifier not fully optimised in a setup; I listened in agony to Audio Research M600 Reference amps on one very ambitious setup, they were drilling holes through my skull ...

I heard a decent drum solo workout on the Brystons, the genuine bite and raw impact of the real thing on a casual playback was impressive...

Frank
Old 1st November 2012, 06:53 AM   #28777
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I am not sure it is correlated with bandwidth (outrageous anyway)or current. No miller cap and OL bandwidth >20 000. All precautions had been taken that any stage never run out of current up to 6Mhz.... All that, with measuring distortions so low that i don't know what i could notice ;-)
Are you allowed to post the circuit for us unwashed masses?
Old 1st November 2012, 09:02 AM   #28778
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
even an amorphous film would be better
If they're optically transparent, they're amorphous.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:55 PM   #28779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
-- check out the 6moons review.

Frank
Tough customers. In all my years here Bryston is the only audio amp maker that inquired about licensing one of our patents. We do/did some custom branding for others to hide part numbers. None now, but at least one CD maker (re-boxer) added some quite expensive op-amps more than 20yr. ago.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:00 PM   #28780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
35 years ago I thought that class A is the history. May be it is the time now?
Andrew Lakner had just finished to provide his very very nice SSA for a recording studio. (Current feedback symmetrical)
Then, for some reasons, build a Hypex NC400 and was in the same studio to compare them.
This guy is a very good designer, use to listen carefully at each steps of his work and had proven he owns clever ears.
That's what he said, despite one of them was his baby:
"...can say firmly the amps are similar in character and musical presentation in general. From there on, subtle differences are noticeable, some in a favor to NC400, some to SSA, have to be fair and honest."

Hide this!Advertise here!