Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 02:54 PM   #28621
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They have some rudimentary specs- as you'd imagine, the bandwidth and dynamic range are limited. They only have one model that makes it to 20kHz and it's only for close miking mouths. The rest are either noise-limited or dynamic range limited (high self noise or low max SPL), as well as bandwidth-limited.

It's a neat idea, one assumes that they're doing it interferometrically, but has a long way to go before it displaces more conventional mike technologies. Nothing there will outperform a decent condenser or ribbon. As Brad pointed out, you still have to have a moving diaphragm, and that's the limiting factor independent of how you transduce the energy.

edit: here's some spec sheets:
http://www.optoacoustics.com/sites/d...-datasheet.pdf
Old 29th October 2012, 03:20 PM   #28622
diyAudio Member

We have been build with separate senses, eyes and ears.
Our ears use a mechanical captor, witch is not good at all and very subject to aging.
It is stupid, while our eyes would be able to record pressure variations as well.
An other advantage would be that, sleeping with our eyes closed, it would provide sound attenuation, good during air flights...
Six days, you said ? Go for one more reviewing your copy.
Oh, while you are on this, have a look on this little bug named death, please.
Old 29th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #28623
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
We have been build with separate senses, eyes and ears.
Our ears use a mechanical captor, witch is not good at all and very subject to aging.
It is stupid, while our eyes would be able to record pressure variations as well.
An other advantage would be that, sleeping with our eyes closed, it would provide sound attenuation, good during air flights...
Six days, you said ? Go for one more reviewing your copy.
Oh, while you are on this, have a look on this little bug named death, please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cute-puppy-with-head-tilted-to-the-side.jpg (43.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 29th October 2012, 04:24 PM   #28624
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
The microphone is not for any one appl. These are low distortion, wide bandwith mics.... not any less suitable than "measurement" mics cannot be used for recording music. Try them and learn. -RNM
They are not popular yet. My friend from Israel worked with guys who designed that mikes. They invested and want to return, that's why industrial applications where absence of electric wires can be critical.
Old 29th October 2012, 04:36 PM   #28625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
They invested and want to return, that's why industrial applications where absence of electric wires can be critical.
Did-you mean that no return can be expected from audio business, selling a mike on the market ?
Or prices are too high, regarding pure audio performance ?
Old 29th October 2012, 04:40 PM   #28626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Did-you mean that no return can be expected from audio business, selling a mike on the market ?
Or prices is too high, regarding pure audio performance ?
Audio performance is excellent, but customers are not ready to pay for them money they pay for rusted German microphones of WW-II era.

You can hear a sample on their site: http://www.optoacoustics.com/pro-audio/crystal

Edit: I will probably have some soon to play with, with photo diode and LED inside, to try for audio.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 29th October 2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:08 PM   #28627
diyAudio Member

Slightly OT (again...),

Just had a chat with Mauro Biggio the boss from Clio (his booth is nextdoor) noting that while his product gets better and better diy-interest seems to get less and lesss - could that be related to the price that gets higher and higher? Uhhh, maybe a good point.

Would there be interest in a lower cost version for diy'ers and small business? Definitely I would think!
Opinions?

jan
Old 29th October 2012, 05:13 PM   #28628
diyAudio Member

Who is Clio? I mean Optoacoustics.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:23 PM   #28629
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Slightly OT (again...),

Just had a chat with Mauro Biggio the boss from Clio (his booth is nextdoor) noting that while his product gets better and better diy-interest seems to get less and lesss - could that be related to the price that gets higher and higher? Uhhh, maybe a good point.

Would there be interest in a lower cost version for diy'ers and small business? Definitely I would think!
Opinions?

jan
Jan,

The price of decent modelling and measurement software has gotten to the point that even some of the freeware can give excellent results. I don't know what CLIO goes for today, but it was very pricey some years back. It may be that your idea might work, but there would have to be generous tech support for a home version.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited by TerryO; 29th October 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 29th October 2012, 05:38 PM   #28630
diyAudio Member

Jan,
I happen to have a Clio system and couldn't imagine being without it. I do want to upgrade my unit to one of the newer units that now has full waterfall functions, but I do still think that the unit was worth the money. I originally used an older system that did all of these things called Sys-ID that was originally developed by Bell Labs but it has long been out of the market and the software updates were far between updates. I would gladly recommend this system for anyone who is serious about doing loudspeaker development work. This is a good product and I don't think that it will be disappearing any time soon.

Steven

Hide this!Advertise here!