John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2843 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 07:27 PM   #28421
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Transformation of acoustical impedance. Distortion is on behalf of the driver.
Do you mean on behalf of non-linear compression of the air in the transformer?
Old 24th October 2012, 07:33 PM   #28422
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Here is a tweeter in the center channel of my HT. It consists of 64 capsules, 12 mm diameter. Can I get distortions similar to horn throat distortions? No way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (808.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 24th October 2012, 08:25 PM   #28423
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
... Distortion...proportional... to the square root of the sound intensity.
No comments.
But that can explain why John is so upset, measuring PA systems for Big halls with horns distortions. And why i prefer horns for home.

Last edited by Esperado; 24th October 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #28424
diyAudio Member

Well, of course, Esperado. I first reacted to your 'horns and 10KW' PA that you apparently ran for a time, NOT your home system. The GD system was modified to remove many of the midrange horns BECAUSE of horn throat distortion in the original multi-midrange horn setup used for at least 4 years previously. Have you learned anything new, yet?
For the record, what was the PA system that you ran with '10KW and horns' consist of? Then let us talk.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:44 PM   #28425
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Have you learned anything new, yet?
For the record, what was the PA system that you ran with '10KW and horns' consist of? Then let us talk.
"For the record", all JBLs, near everything in their catalog. You know, those very bad horns, plenty of them and bass cabinets...Castles at the side of the scenes...
Absolutely awfull regarding any form of fidelity. But no larsen, very dynamic and impressive for drums, such a directivity that it was possible to project sounds to hundreds of meters, able to keep intelligibility even is some catastrophic hall's reverberations and, once equalized, some guys in the public where even able to recognize instruments :-)
You know... PA !

I remember, if you shouted a " bow" in the mike, with some delay, it was like a plane in your face in return from the back of the hall...

At this time,if you spoke to me of some horns in my home system, I would have killed you.
If i had learned something ? About PA ? Not really.

About Home; Yes.
That * Good horns * can change everything. When i say good horns, i do not include metallic ones, constant directivity ones, or traditional expansion curves (cone, hyperbolic, , parabolic).
... That the horn expansion curve has to be carefully calculated in correlation with the specific drive you use (how spherical is the wave's form, angle of the throat etc...)
That your horn has to present the same surface at the crossover frequency than your bass speaker or, at least, the same directivity curve...
That it is good to calculate-it for one octave under the cross over frequency...
That it is very difficult and time consuming to tune the filter's levels for a perfect coherency...

Once done, i do not know a more natural and dynamic reproduction than the one that offer a two way system with such a horn with a good driver (not easy to find neither).
Old 24th October 2012, 11:23 PM   #28426
diyAudio Member

Well, at least you didn't much of your own PA either. '-)
Old 24th October 2012, 11:28 PM   #28427
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is there a word missing above?
Old 24th October 2012, 11:50 PM   #28428
diyAudio Member

Think I would imagine.....
Old 24th October 2012, 11:57 PM   #28429
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are so many dimensions to "good" sound, and when two people listen to the same sound different priorities are placed on various aspects. I look for naturalness, others for absolute correctness of some tonal characteristic, there are myriads of permutations ...

Frank
Old 25th October 2012, 12:02 AM   #28430
diyAudio Member

Frank,
I would say that natural and sonically correct are one in the same in my book. To me it can not sound correct if it doesn't sound natural or at least reproduce what was intended. What I don't like is harsh, bright, muddy, smeared or any of those things as that is what I would think of as unnatural.

Hide this!Advertise here!