Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2012, 08:18 PM   #27651
diyAudio Member

The CTC Blowtorch was really designed for the top 10% of the public, not the top 1%. We did sell a small proportion overseas, but THEY raised the selling price, 5 times, not us.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:22 PM   #27652
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
BTW did anyone ID the system in the remake of "The Mechanic", I found the end unsatisfying.
Remake of the Dynaco plus Project turntable, I think.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:31 PM   #27653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroj View Post
Remake of the Dynaco plus Project turntable, I think.
Found it in the trivia right on the TT, they ID the amp as a Jolida JD 302BRC
Old 13th September 2012, 08:32 PM   #27654
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
....... however I have been showing some schematics ....... recently, and I DID hope for some questions or some criticisms of them, just to give another ACTUAL representation of what we do in hi end audio, rather than some outsider's negative belief.
<snip>
John,
I noticed from the published schematics of JC-2 that it is sort of "step back" from your philosophy of "minimal number of junctions" - diff. stages and folded cascodes in that amp are both cascoded. Did you do it because of limited power dissipation in 2SK389/2SJ109 devices or was there any other reason?
Old 13th September 2012, 08:38 PM   #27655
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
The CTC Blowtorch was really designed for the top 10% of the public, not the top 1%. We did sell a small proportion overseas, but THEY raised the selling price, 5 times, not us.
In the US the 90th percentile is $82,000. I don't know many folks that spend 3 months gross pay on a line stage plus pre-amp.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:50 PM   #27656
diyAudio Member

OK, Scott. The top 5% in 2000 or top 3% in the USA?
Old 13th September 2012, 09:49 PM   #27657
diyAudio Member

Scott, please note:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg income.jpg (159.2 KB, 203 views)
Old 13th September 2012, 11:06 PM   #27658
diyAudio Member

Good example John
Old 13th September 2012, 11:45 PM   #27659
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I want those speakers!
You've got them, right now! Which is my smart-ar!!! way of saying that, IMO and experience, speakers are the least of the problems in getting that type of behaviour.

As I have indicated many times my reference, which all here will pay lip service to, is how live music is perceived, as an experience. And of course one of the characteristics of sound produced by real instruments is that subjectively the sound doesn't appear to get louder as you, say, approach it from a distance, the term I would prefer to use is that it is perceived as becoming more intense. If someone is playing on a piano fortissimo, one can hear it clearly from the other end of the house, and if you then walked up to the instrument and stuck your head over the soundboard while still being played in this fashion then the sound would be dramatic, overwhelming. It wouldn't sound different, or distorted, it would still sound exactly like a piano!

And so should an audio system behave. If you try the same test of walking from the other end of the house while playing a piano recording at realistic volumes you should perceive the same acoustic behaviour. Or, alternatively, you stay in the same position in the listening room and adjust the volume from low, up to full volume: the experience should mirror the house walk. Yes, of course, the sound reflecting through the surfaces of the house will alter aspects of the sound, but the perception of listening to a real piano at varying distances should still be the essence of the experience.

So what's this do with speakers? Well, I have always found, always, that achieving this "effect" is down to how well the electronics, and electricals, are sorted out. Never the speakers, apart from eliminating the typical silly electrical weaknesses many commercial units have ..

Frank
Old 14th September 2012, 12:01 AM   #27660
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute! WTH does 2010 income have to do with a product released in the late go-go 90's and was not available any more by the mid 00's? We were all living in the pre 08 dream times then.

Hide this!Advertise here!