John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you put a compliant conductive layer between the resistive sheet and the electrodes and the resistive sheet is essentially incompressible (i.e., hard plastic, not rubber), you can minimize the resistance change with pressure. Otherwise you'll have a surface area effect and a volumetric effect.

To calculate resistance, you need the resistivity in ohm-cm. Multiply by thickness, divide by area.

Thanks a bunch. It seems that the Velostat will work for my needs and I can stack layers, increase area, or squeeze it really tight to get just what I need. In this case, the variable resistance is a good thing, as well as any capacitance of the film.

It works by inducing power into the ground system and measuring the current flow. It assumes that there is more than one path to ground to complete the loop.

For many ground tests the method was to connect a 40 amp fuse between the 120 volt AC power line and the safety ground. If the fuse blew the ground connection was adequate. Really!!!

Of course if you gave a bare ground wire you can measure the voltage across it and the current through it.

No. No idea at all. Its magic.

-RM
I now know :), that the magic is called stakeless earth testing.
The clamp on head has two coils...one induces current into an earth conductor, and the second coil measures the induced current, the smarts works out the effective loop resistance of the circuit under test.
Might be useful for identifying ''Pin 1"' problems.
Megger DET14C - APPLICATION NOTE is a good primer.

Dan.

This is my latest project a 1940's style black and white television. It only gets old TV shows.

ES

Attachments

• ChronoVision.jpg
    ChronoVision.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 262
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Harlan Ellison wrote an interesting story about such a TV in the possession of
a child. Of course it wasn't the TV that was doing the trick...

I started to say nice story but I wouldn't want to give the wrong impression
about Ellison's approach to stories.

:cool:

Correction: Google had it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffty_Is_Five
and it was a radio.

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it was to get a working BW tube to begin with!

It is loaded with 500 hours of shows replayed in random order. Goes through the entire list before repeating. I still need to mount the rabbit ears.

Defiately looks 50's, I've been cathching up on Boris Karloff's "Thriller" lately. The oldest Perry Mason's are quite a surprise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.