John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2738 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 09:17 AM   #27371
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
If they're so easy to discern, why do they disappear in the test formats where people are easily able to distinguish tiny differences in level and frequency response, as well as data compression, phase, and polarity. Why do you not trust your ears and somehow need nonauditory cues?

If you can't hear it using your ears alone, you can't hear it.
Following the same line of argument, youŽd have to admit that an experimenter who does not use positive/negative controls simply does not trust in his test.

To cite JJ once again:

Quote:
Do I have to have controls?

YES

Well, unless you don’t want to know how good your test is, of course.
(quote from: http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/ppt/jj/hashighlevel.ppt )
Old 7th September 2012, 11:03 AM   #27372
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
Following the same line of argument, youŽd have to admit that an experimenter who does not use positive/negative controls simply does not trust in his test.
Or is testing something where it's not appropriate. Procrustes is not the example I'd use for experimental design.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:39 AM   #27373
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
For the record, for fas42, before my personal Blowtorch arrived I used a Vendetta Research phono stage or a tuner, manually plugged into a 10 turn dual wirewound pot at to the amps from there. I had put the JC-80 in the closet, by then. I never went back to just the pot.
I've read this a few times, that a passive preamp will be finally undone by a good enough active. Where do you feel that such an ultimate simplification falls down in terms of sound quality, is it purely because the source components have insufficient drive?

This is from someone who can't abide any type of tracking volume control, the signature distortion of these is just too obvious ...

FRank
Old 7th September 2012, 02:34 PM   #27374
diyAudio Member

I agree that it is difficult to compete with pure passive, but the convenience of quality internal switching, the conversion from single ended to balanced (active) and sufficient drive to use a 14' balanced cable to the amp, tip the scale. At the same time, the CTC Blowtorch is next to completely transparent that we know how to make. This has been verified by reviewers and aggressive audiophiles independently.

Last edited by john curl; 7th September 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 02:37 PM   #27375
diyAudio Member

You are a rare breed, fas42, if you can hear significant differences in pots. I hear them, and we can discuss what we have found at length at some point. Good topic.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:10 PM   #27376
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
You are just wasting energy. It is best to use what is practical, and not worry if 'better' is possible, like Teflon.
Why not point to point with gold Vector pins swaged into a sheet of teflon?
Old 7th September 2012, 03:19 PM   #27377
diyAudio Member

Why not use 64 Pin Chip Sockets and make point to point direct wiring with parts legs?
Old 7th September 2012, 03:44 PM   #27378
diyAudio Member

Well guys, you can make fun of quality construction, but it pays off in the end.
Old 7th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #27379
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What is in a name?

For me, at some point High-End production would be about issues which encompass more than what is audible or data/numbers. It gets into subtle, even details and fastidiousness that is everywhere - perfection in every aspect.

Like McLaren cars... is doesnt stop with the engine design nor dyno numbers nor skid pad numbers. Why would another High-End car company build an engine that is so well engineered that is doesnt use/need gaskets between block and head etal? or a mechanical watch that will last 200 years in use?

Its not good enough to have a great audio circuit design Only. Lets build it as right as it can be as well. That covers a lot of different disapplines. And, that includes solder and thermals, too. But what fun and what a challenge.

If it is a lot less than this, then lets not call it High-End nor S.O.T.A. It's something else.

-RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 7th September 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 06:45 PM   #27380
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!