John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is going on, or we could not change the direction of the 'dancer' so easily.

I, for example, can't. The direction changes all by itself. Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise. I opened the animated GIF in two other applications and it behaved differently every time. One small glitch in the playback of any of the 34 frames and direction changes. Increase/decrease image size - again, different behaviour.
I think it depends on other stuff that's going at system level on ones computer at a time and on browser the test person is using. I think this test is invalid.

The key problem here is that people, and especiall John, are being called out for their opinions. Basically, their essential human rights are denied by local witch hunters.

It's come to that he is not allowed to say something like he believes discrete can still do better than op amps. That's "he believes", not an absolute value statement. And one with which a few of us here actually agree with.

That notwitstanding, some individuals have taken the liberty to prosecute John for his beliefs, thus also accusing us who agree with him.

When such (mis)behavior is allowed to proceed, it will eventually degrade the thread into dust and oblivion. I understand and support different views, different opinions and ultimtela different experiences, but only if they do not turn into a personal showdown, which they did here, and on a number of occasions.

So for the last 5,000 messages or so, not a word was dedicated to the Blowtorch preamp. I expect we'll be discussing Werner von Braun's rocket design next.

Nonsense. This forum has NO technical censorship with the exception of safety issues (direct mains connections).

You and I know damn well that's NOT what I was talking about.

All John has to say is: "Hi!", and the worms crawl out of the woodwork, and YOU let it happen time and time again. That has nothing to do with technical issues, it's way more basic than that.

YOU allow a specific witch hunt on a purely persoanl basis, and for what? Because one has an opinion you don't like?

Before you answer this, Sy, be aware that I will test your anticipated negative answer.

Ooooh, a test!

There are many places on the internet where only certain opinions are allowed. This is not one of them. If you would feel more comfortable posting somewhere that will exclude all dissent and disagreement with your thoughts, there is nothing preventing that. Likewise, if you are uncomfortable posting here where diverse technical points of view and disagreement are not prohibited, then you may wish to reconsider posting here.

John is aware of that as well.

Blowtorch design had been discussed years and years ago, since 7th January 2006. There is nothing that special for that topic to last 8 years and more. Most of the design specialties were discussed in circles round and round.

Thanks for the heads up, Pavel.

In which case, I propose we split this topic and offshoot another thread, which we can name "General chit-chat", or "Much Ado About Nothing" (though this might get us sued for copyright reasons). :p

Ooooh, a test!

There are many places on the internet where only certain opinions are allowed. This is not one of them. If you would feel more comfortable posting somewhere that will exclude all dissent and disagreement with your thoughts, there is nothing preventing that. Likewise, if you are uncomfortable posting here where diverse technical points of view and disagreement are not prohibited, then you may wish to reconsider posting here.

John is aware of that as well.

Masterful evasion! With much thesis switching! Therefore meaningless.

In which case, I propose we split this topic and offshoot another thread, which we can name "General chit-chat", or "Much Ado About Nothing" (though this might get us sued for copyright reasons). :p

No, it would not work. Blowtorch thread attracts so much only for the reason that it is about JC and has BT in its name. And, IMO, great number of visits is officially appreciated ;):p

dvv,
There are times and some people who will constantly attack John no matter what he says, that is a personal vendetta, I can't explain that really, it does get old but those people I just tune out their comments. On the other hand many of us do listen to what John has to say when he does bring up a technical issue and may or may not agree with his reasoning or find some fault with the reason but agree that something is going on. Other times there is total agreement with something he says. So you are seeing every imaginable type of response. Some of the most technical answers here are not coming from John at all and these are also very welcome responses as they can be very educational unless you already know everything there is to know. Sometimes John just says something controversial just to do that and then all Hell breaks loose, nothing that hasn't happened a bunch of times, he knows the reaction he will receive.

So if you actually have a technical question to ask just do it and someone will attempt to answer it I imagine. I think there is a previous thread where the actual blowtorch was discussed in much greater detail, at least as much as John wanted to divulge about his design and design specifications.

Blowtorch design had been discussed years and years ago, since 7th January 2006. There is nothing that special for that topic to last 8 years and more. Most of the design specialties were discussed in circles round and round.

Pavel,

John actually hasn't discussed everything about the Blowtorch! He still keeps some secrets... hard to believe, but he does.

Now when I talk to J.C. and ask a question, as long as I listen he discusses the topic in amazing detail.

For example I was discussing that he was measuring the distortion vs noise trade off even with the peanut gallery noise I thought the point got through.

Now when he mentioned he was playing with the AD825 you mentioned it was obsolete, truncating the conversation. Knowing this thread the issue will get mentioned again. In the mean time you might want to compare his measurements against the data sheet. Maybe even send him some suggestions or samples of what to test, as he is just starting out.

Now on a different and unrelated topic, years ago I had a friend who worked on some interesting stuff. Now if I asked him a question about things that were public domain, he would be glad to answer, but if it got into an area he though was secret, his answer was "Sorry I didn't work on that part of it." :)

SY,

When folks accuse me of meandering it seems to mean that they don't understand the topic. However in your case...there is an elephant in the room.

I might mention the state of discrete solid state design today.
It is still going pretty good, as we haven't run out of parts yet. IC's seem to get better, but I don't know the internal structure as much, as they keep it a secret in many cases. Still, complementary jfets appear to be almost impossible to make with a normal IC process, and this fact, gives us something to design with that is better than anything else but a tube. Sort of a solid state substitute for a tube with complementary components. I rarely use bipolar transistors, anymore, except for power amp output stages, but IC's use them primarily, with an added fet or two sometimes included.
Sonically, it still seems that discrete is better. I leave that judgement to the professional audio reviewers. They actually have less at stake than anyone else, either the manufacturers or the skeptics, and can afford to trust their ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.