Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2012, 02:25 AM   #26941
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Never-the Less, when rplayed back levels are very low and fine detail structure in music isnt resolved... CD 16/44.1 hasnt been good enough and sounded as described. I attribute that loss of detail in music at low recorded levels to the fewer bits being used at low levels in some of the popular playback technologies. Maybe it was elsewhere -- like a bad digital volume control. Then there is/was 1-bit technology and others. Cleanness over a wide dynamic range is where analog had a good bit (sic) to offer. Ok so kill me. -RNM
Simple answer: you have to be very fussy with digital, I repeat, very fussy. Lack of attention to detail will give you loss of fine detail structure. Every time.

Frank
Old 25th August 2012, 02:28 AM   #26942
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
It is with everything: with digital, with analog, does not matter. What matters, digital designers often don't understand well what goes on in analog domain, thinking digitally.
Old 25th August 2012, 02:37 AM   #26943
diyAudio Member

> I am going towards measuring harmonics of analog
> designs with a digital ADC/DAC system!

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people
who use ' digital ' scopes ....
Anyone can see the steps on the traces, but yet
seem to be ambivalent to the ability of the steps
to hide sensed glitches ..............
Old 25th August 2012, 02:38 AM   #26944
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
It is with everything: with digital, with analog, does not matter. What matters, digital designers often don't understand well what goes on in analog domain, thinking digitally.
Exactly. What's being dealt with in a CD player, say, are always analogue behaviours, with some parts of that having a digital "meaning". Analogue can always adversely affect, interact, interfere with other analogue, and thinking of what you're dealing with, with that understanding has to be of prime importance if one wants "good" CD sound.

Frank
Old 25th August 2012, 02:49 AM   #26945
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wow. Thats great for you. you'll love it as long as you dont let yourself be bored.

I tell people anywhere that today, more than ever before, you must get a home paid off or you will never be able to retire... not as long as you have to make monthly house payments. And, making that happen is becoming harder to do. But, you've made it and are able to retire.

When do you make the big jump off and free fall? We'll have a party for you over here in beautiful, sunny downtown Cool, California!! BBQ and a glass of wine on that day. -Dick
No mortgages here not that I like to rub it into anyones face. Not my style, I can't quite figure your angle on this.
Old 25th August 2012, 03:09 AM   #26946
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post

Is it the digitizer or the display steps you are seeing?

If you know how to use the tool to see what you need to see it matters little if its digital or analog. Sometimes digital is way better for seeing "glitches". If you don't know what to look for sometimes neither digital nor analog (nor analog distortion analyzer nor DSP) will help.
Old 25th August 2012, 03:16 AM   #26947
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post

I have a couple of other FFT units -- one digital scope made by Tektronix -- will do up to 300MHz FFT - 1-2 GigaB/s clock ...no steps seen. But I want more bits for audio.
Old 25th August 2012, 03:23 AM   #26948
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
No mortgages here not that I like to rub it into anyones face. Not my style, I can't quite figure your angle on this.
Its just thrown in there for any one who isnt close to retirement to think about.

So? When is your last day?
Old 25th August 2012, 03:39 AM   #26949
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Exactly. What's being dealt with in a CD player, say, are always analogue behaviours, with some parts of that having a digital "meaning". Analogue can always adversely affect, interact, interfere with other analogue, and thinking of what you're dealing with, with that understanding has to be of prime importance if one wants "good" CD sound.
It looks easy from "digital" point of view, until you start looking at gain and offset calibration issues, reference voltage stability and noises, and similar analog issues...
Old 25th August 2012, 03:43 AM   #26950
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But I want more bits for audio.
How many bits do you want from SACD (DSD)?

Hide this!Advertise here!