John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2689 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 04:36 PM   #26881
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

What does it prove if someone can solve the problem?
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:45 PM   #26882
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

What does it prove if someone has unsupported subjective claims? Web and paper can withstand everything.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:47 PM   #26883
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You're asking me to take the time to do free work that has (as far as I can see) no particular point. If there is a point, you haven't stated it. Now you're asking me to do free work using an inappropriate tool to make it as drudgery-filled as possible. Still no point.

Thanks, but no. Your analogy to John backing up his claims absolutely escapes me.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:49 PM   #26884
diyAudio Member

PMA, Chip on your shoulder?
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:50 PM   #26885
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
You're asking me to take the time to do free work that has (as far as I can see) no particular point. If there is a point, you haven't stated it. Now you're asking me to do free work using an inappropriate tool to make it as drudgery-filled as possible. Still no point.

Thanks, but no. Your analogy to John backing up his claims absolutely escapes me.
But you seem to have time more than enough to answer or correct many other stu..d posts. Something is wrong here.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:51 PM   #26886
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, if there's a point. If Ed were a struggling student or beginner trying to understand something, that would be different.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:54 PM   #26887
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Dick,

The reason why it is not just Xc/(R+Xc) is the phase shift when R = C is 45 degrees. ?
Yes, of course... hast makes waste. so used to doing filter calcs... forgot it was a power problem :-)

Last edited by RNMarsh; 23rd August 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:56 PM   #26888
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
What does it prove if someone has unsupported subjective claims? Web and paper can withstand everything.
Exactly. Most of gross unsupported claims are strict logical constructions based on misunderstanding of basic concepts. No point in criticizing logical constructions that can be perfect, if not to know where is the error in basic assumptions.
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:03 PM   #26889
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
When, in late 1989, after the previous business had failed, a recruiter had me interview with Harman. Besides a flock of interrogations with various vice presidents and managers, I had to take a written test. It was based on one administered to FAEs and others at Tektronix. Multiple choice (but show your work), pretty basic, with some discrete components, a tiny bit of Boolean algebra and other logic circuitry. The time limit was 30 minutes.

I was ushered to the cafeteria, which was initially quiet. Within five minutes it filled with line workers. I soldiered on. The very cold fish of a Human Resources person came to collect the thing at the end of the period. I could already tell that he disliked me intensely after our little chats.

I aced it, one of a couple who got a perfect score. When I went over it with Brad Plunkett, he asked me if I were sure of one of the Boolean questions, and when I said yes I was pretty confident, he marked that answer on the sheet he had

One of the questions was a cleverly worded one about the voltage at the output of a C-R voltage divider with sinusoidal excitation. Many many people got that wrong, including a VP from Harman-Motive, who wiggled and wriggled to insist that he was right, according to BP.
I also took comprehensive tests years ago and aced both of them. One head hunter never called me back as he said I was over qualified for the jobs he had and that no one ever aced it. hey. sure there are phase angles to consider in Z with L,C and R elements. Gotta run. Zoomin' all the time.
Next!
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:45 PM   #26890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I also took comprehensive tests.... aced both of them. One head hunter never called me back as he said I was over qualified for the jobs he had and that no one ever aced it.

Hide this!Advertise here!