John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,
It is only my opinion but that is a failed or poor way to teach. A teacher who just keeps asking more questions and leads away from the original intent would be frustrating to have and that is what I see here. If you want to teach then do that, don't make people guess what the subject truly is! He originally alluded to something you are working on, I still have no idea what that is. When Jan or Scott, or JN or others have something to teach it is very clear and concise. Ed does just the opposite and it is more of a challenge to show he has something he knows and checks to see who else can figure it out, As I said it is 20 questions, just a game it seems.

Now, don't play games, SY. Tell us what he has done wrong!

Inhale , hold ...... :)

John,
It is only my opinion but that is a failed or poor way to teach. A teacher who just keeps asking more questions and leads away from the original intent would be frustrating to have and that is what I see here. If you want to teach then do that, don't make people guess what the subject truly is! He originally alluded to something you are working on, I still have no idea what that is. When Jan or Scott, or JN or others have something to teach it is very clear and concise. Ed does just the opposite and it is more of a challenge to show he has something he knows and checks to see who else can figure it out, As I said it is 20 questions, just a game it seems.

Nope , just be thankful , you never attended school outside of the good ole USA....

I notice Ed has stopped trying to "teach" us how electrons move in a conductor.

:rofl:

This one is before your time John .... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 200
SY

Scott likes to misinterpret things, set up a straw man and then knock it down. On a capacitor thread I mentioned some basics and his response didn't get a single issue right

It is completely untrue but:
Now I understand after abducted by aliens he spent years in a secret military mental hospital and after being released by signing a secret agreement he started to work as a man in black disinformation officer. Unfortunately his alcohol problem got the better of him and he had to go to a detox center three times before they gave up on him. Then to make matters worse, while on a drunken bing he tried to assault a witch who placed a very strong hex on him....

Hope he gets better.

Now about the elephant you keep seeing...:

Of course the krp he keeps repeating about electron propagation is his misinformation not mine, I at least label mine as such.

Kindh
When I make statements they get mashed and twisted. When I ask questions if someone else provides the answer it gets left alone. Now when I mentioned the unit of measurement known as "sabins" no one here knew what it was. Same thing happened when I gave the definition of capacitance. I dare not use terms such as Wa as I think folks around here would get thirsty.

I mentioned before I started that JC was looking to optimize noise in a system. Scott then opined that he was measuring distortion, as usual not getting the relationship in question. If you still are confused you can PM me like many do, with any questions.

Last edited:
No, the logical conclusion is that if the fundamental point is glossed over with a lot of extraneous activity, people will forget about it and concentrate on irrelevancies. I'm surprised no one has picked up on the major issue and called Ed on it- he has to be laughing.

Hint: what does the entire spectrum look like?

Pinkish? Perhaps a dusty rose with a hint of inverse-RIAA?

That s neither funny, clever or intriguing.

Just rather pathetic.

Yes, I will respect your authority on pathetic. Now what do you call a question that was answered 5 posts before it was asked? Or is that another pathetic question? Oops two of them.

Personally I prefer friendly banter. But I do recognize some don't read the entire post and others are humor impaired. As to who I am, if you haven't bothered to google it, around 3 million folks or more each year listen to one of my sound systems. I have been doing it as a career for more than 40 years. I do every so often write a paper, popular article or give a lecture. (Some lectures for interested parties, others undergrads and every so often doctoral and post doc.) My minor contributions include changing loudspeaker specs from 1W/1M to 2.83V/1M,and a bit about measuring distortion in resistors and solder joints. Being in a university town I get to do lunch with a bunch of well informed folks and every so often I run things by them and then post tidbits here. (it is fun to watch the critiques resulting.)

Jan & Vac,

The bit about noise unmasking tones, last I looked, was exploiting the human hearing process. As mentioned the second harmonic is masked by the fundamental if it is more than 20 db down. Now when you mask the fundamental with 30 db of critical band noise the harmonic will pop up. However as this should never be the case in our scope of work, it is not a worry.

Now grumblings set aside is there anything I raised that has not been settled?

(SY you are out for this one, as I think you missed the main issue.)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
sort of following along... potential to delevlope greater substance.... I like more info on masking and how it is and isnt - depending. Esp if can be related to music and test-measurements. This is area JC has often alluded to.

BTW -- how do you de-convolve a single transient, impulse waveform... non-repetitive signal?

THx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.