John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2655 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 09:56 AM   #26541
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, Doppler . A horn player usually does not ride on train during concert.
Old 17th August 2012, 10:20 AM   #26542
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
but we really don't want the sound of an orchestra playing in our living room - we want to hear what they sound like at a good seat in a great hall while sitting in our living room
And that is essentially what you do get when a system, even poor ol' miserable, badly maligned, dead straight stereo, gets it right. The illusion is that the end wall or whatever, past, behind the speakers disappears, and a space as large as the recorded acoustic opens up, appears in its place. A comparison would be that it is as if the listening room was transported to the exterior wall of the concert hall, say, an opening punched into that space and your listening room attached at that point.

How this can occur is that enough acoustic clues, low level details, get through cleanly to the hearing system, enabling the mind to effortlessly construct this "mirage" ...

Frank
Old 17th August 2012, 10:45 AM   #26543
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I do all those things. It sounds better but not as real as live in my room. Any other ideas?
Check out how much electrical interference in the home is dragging down the quality. What I do is shut down the whole house electrically except for the one circuit feeding the audio; and this means pulling every fuse and circuit breaker at the power meter box. Every one: lights, stove, water heater ... except the circuit feeding the audio. Also, make sure that all power cords not needed to run the audio test are pulled from that remaining live circuit. Power down totally every cell or mobile phone, battery operated laptop, you get the idea.

Now, does that make a difference, particularly in the area of treble clarity and cleanness? I've learnt a lot from this simple exercise ...

Frank
Old 17th August 2012, 10:58 AM   #26544
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Probably well meant advices, but pls check

Marsh Sound Design ~ Experience the Sound with Marsh Sound Design Products !!!

to realize whom you advise.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:23 AM   #26545
diyAudio Member

I've found that the tiniest "imperfection" can make the difference between live, and not live, and only by going through everything with a fine tooth comb, not assuming anything, do I make real progress. More than anything else it's an attitude, an approach that works for me; unless I do what I try with total rigour I'll get misleading results. The line between success and "not so good" is, oh so fine, and that's the point I'm trying to make ...

Frank
Old 17th August 2012, 11:31 AM   #26546
diyAudio Member

Fas42, you are on to something. My lab is situated in one bedroom of my apartment. In order to do any serious measurements, I have to turn off everything that I can. Then, I still get residuals from nearby apartments. This is a known, IBM did a paper on it, and it can cycle with people's appliance use habits. It seems to me, that we have a dual opportunity to both consider EMI 'proofing' our electronics, as good as possible, and removing the sources of the EMI from our power lines, by either turning everything off (somewhat extreme) to adding an external AC power conditioner to 'purify' the AC waveform. I am up for both, so long as the solutions are 'practical' and somewhat affordable. Sometimes they are not affordable, but still effective.

Last edited by john curl; 17th August 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:36 AM   #26547
diyAudio Member

What you are describing, fas42, is exactly what I go after. I can achieve the MOST success where my close associates and I control both the design and construction. The Blowtorch was made this way. I can get only relatively perfect success when I have my designs made offshore, by others who may be compliant, but not as aggressive at 'getting it right'.
It is sort of what you get when you buy a Honda product rather than an expensive Mercedes, you might say.

Last edited by john curl; 17th August 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:42 AM   #26548
diyAudio Member

DF96, what is a 'lay listener' vs an 'expert or professional' listener?
Old 17th August 2012, 12:20 PM   #26549
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Probably well meant advices, but pls check

Marsh Sound Design ~ Experience the Sound with Marsh Sound Design Products !!!

to realize whom you advise.
Yes, we're all aware that Dick sells into the fashion hifi market.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:28 PM   #26550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I know there is enough info in the tests we do to explain what is heard or not heard. And, FFT does it for most everyone in science. Unfortunately, that isnt changing anything on the ground. The debate rages on.
I hate to stick on this point but little has been done to confirm what is heard or not heard. I for one am not yet convinced. Counter examples no matter how carefully done continue to be dismissed out of hand.
Why aren't they even "metadata".

Hide this!Advertise here!