Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 06:05 AM   #26521
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
A simple word that expresses it perfectly is 'fussy'. Be fussy, fussy, fussy, over and over again; any sloppiness, anywhere, will be penalised with sound well less than the best.
Only those anal enough to care will get the best. 'The price of freedom (from crap sound) is eternal vigilance'.
Old 17th August 2012, 06:12 AM   #26522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I was talking to someone who has worked with research audiologists looking at musicians with hearing loss (Most, even classical). The brain scans suggest that they can reconstruct the missing parts pretty accurately even if the stimulus (serious hearing loss) is not there. I will try to get more details on this since its very interesting stuff
Indeed very interesting stuff, but also stuff that has been researched ad infinitum. Seemingly unrelated issues like this 'filling in' of sound, expectation bias, changes in remembered events with circumstances, or, even more weird, phantom limb perceptions, all come back to one significant point: the brain is a prediction machine. Say a word and it completes the sentence, so to speak.

For 'us', there's a difference between, say, a 'real' chair in front of us and a chair remembered from yesterday. For the brain, it's all 'inside your head'. For the brain, there is no difference between reality and what is made up, remembered or imagined inside it.
But because we insist on this imaginary (pun intended) difference we get mad when someone suggests we imagined something. On the contrary, in a very real sense it's ALL imagined

jan
Old 17th August 2012, 06:16 AM   #26523
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
the brain is a prediction machine. Say a word and it completes the sentence, so to speak.
Jan - you're sounding more and more like Jeff Hawkins. Been reading his 'On Intelligence' by any chance?
Old 17th August 2012, 06:34 AM   #26524
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I can take a guess. Pros use balanced cables, so CM noise is much less of an issue than for audiophiles. Also perhaps the studio has some industrial grade power line conditioning and doesn't run its air-conditioning, refrigerator, PCs and flat panel displays etc. on the same spur as all the audio kit?
I do all those things. It sounds better but not as real as live in my room. Any other ideas?
Old 17th August 2012, 06:39 AM   #26525
diyAudio Member

Jan, I don't disagree with your post, but I do find, "For the brain, there is no difference between reality and what is made up, remembered or imagined inside it" to be a bit overstated. In other words, the audio problem as it stands exists precisely because the brain can discern real vs reproduced.
That the brain "involuntarily" completes the missing puzzle pieces is IMO a good sign in regards to audio reproduction. It means progress is being made. And as a layman I tend to agree that the stereo paradigm needs further research. Leading to fewer missing pieces to fill in. Digital is capable of achieving that goal.
Old 17th August 2012, 06:40 AM   #26526
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Exactly. And then someone wonders that a horn sounds different in his living room
The question is how to get the repro sound in the home to be a lot closer to 'real' music played in the home with real musical instruments? Why is there such a big gap? Care to solve that mystery?
Old 17th August 2012, 06:43 AM   #26527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
In my experience it's quite straightforward: first of all, music replay in the home is never loud enough, and secondly treble is usually mangled to some degree.
The other thing is that music in the home is generally much more homogenous and direct than in a concert hall. Someone once remarked (I think it was Floyd Toole) that a concert hall is one giant comb filter, what with its myriad reflections. With most of our efforts to control dispersion and reflections in our rooms we are in fact going away more and more from the life sound 'picture'.

jan
Old 17th August 2012, 06:46 AM   #26528
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

but we really don't want the sound of an orchestra playing in our living room - we want to hear what they sound like at a good seat in a great hall – while sitting in our living room
Old 17th August 2012, 06:46 AM   #26529
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Richard, I think we should split the question in two issues:

1) we have read here several complaints on aggressive sounding home system at high volume. This is IMO completely resolvable and depends on circuit topology, parts used, EMI suppression, power supplies etc. - i.e. on skills of each of us.

2) re-creation of original sound field in home acoustic conditions. This is IMO completely impossible by mike-amp-recording-replay-amp-speaker systems, regardless number of sound channels used.
Old 17th August 2012, 06:48 AM   #26530
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
but we really don't want the sound of an orchestra playing in our living room - we want to hear what they sound like at a good seat in a great hall while sitting in our living room
This exactly is impossible.

Hide this!Advertise here!