John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2636 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2012, 04:47 PM   #26351
diyAudio Member

Left brain is good for logic. Right brain is good for 'feeling' or 'intuiting', or singing. '-)
A good balance is optimum. Kind of like a healthy body, may not be that of an extreme weightlifter, even though the weightlifter might be much stronger.
Old 15th August 2012, 05:02 PM   #26352
BV is offline BV  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There is probably a correlation with the amount of higher education and the inability to hear differences.
Much bigger (and proven..) correlation between inability to hear differences is with closed eyes (BT), as with educiation level.
Old 15th August 2012, 05:10 PM   #26353
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
I am interested in how an output handles itself when the lf content is running in one quadrant, and then suddenly has to traverse another, not necessarily through zero current/voltage. Bursting a 20Khz sine in quad 1 (+V/+I) such that the output stage flies into either 2 (-V/+I) or 4 (+V/-I) means the opposite pass elements really have to work.. and the entire stage has to respond to that. (I'd hate to think about some active element going into sat because of some silly little pulse...then taking time to recover..)
Where's the fun in that? I like sinx/x far more, it's cleaner.
jn
Well, let's do it and see what falls out of it. can you work on it?
Old 15th August 2012, 05:15 PM   #26354
diyAudio Member

Kara: Brain and brain! What is brain?
Old 15th August 2012, 05:26 PM   #26355
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Good spirited comments... re. math requirements and use and people on this DIY forum et al. Note to understand my situation, we had a matrix organization. If an EE had a lot of programming to do on a complex LSI interface he designed to run diagnostics/controlles on an experiment and got his tech to help trouble-shoot it -- we had an account to requisition a computer programmer from the computations group. Or, if an EE had a lot of math to do to get thru his portion of the project, we would requisition a math programmer. We didnt allow EE's to be jack of all trades as a small organization might. That wasnt considered a good use of their hired for talents and time. Every part of a project thus used the best minds and talents for that part... resulting in a very high level of successful, on-time and within budget projects. But, the EE was still responsible for his outcome and thus worked with the math programmer, for example, to get the results desired. They no longer had to know math in great detail anymore. Add to that the use of sim circuit design software use and less and less higher math was/is done by EE's. Thx - RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 15th August 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 15th August 2012, 05:41 PM   #26356
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Hypothesis - Heyser and Gerzon could, Toole and Lipshitz couldn't.
Evidence: none.

I note that for the Hawksford phase challenge, the two people who stepped up and actually identified differences included a PhD and a non-engineer. The ones who ran away complaining that DBTs inhibit their ability to hear (peeking required), well.... So much for John's sneering "hypothesis."
Old 15th August 2012, 05:43 PM   #26357
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
The only connection I can see is that education generally promotes logical reasoning and critical thinking and thus people that are less easily influenced by what's being said and preached around them.
Depends on the education, I suppose. I have known a lot of gullible folks with lots of education and credentials. And I know lots of people with no formal education who are incisive and logical thinkers and are well aware of the ways of the human mind.
Old 15th August 2012, 05:59 PM   #26358
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Depends on the education, I suppose. I have known a lot of gullible folks with lots of education and credentials. And I know lots of people with no formal education who are incisive and logical thinkers and are well aware of the ways of the human mind.
Sure - my point was more the general tendency of education to promote logical and critical thinking. I agree it's not an automatic result.

Interestingly, in my country there's been a spirited discussion whether the MAIN goal of education is not so much to pump knowledge and facts into your brain but precisely to learn the ability to reason and be critical. That way, you can handle any situation, even those never envisoned when you were doing your education.

jan
Old 15th August 2012, 06:06 PM   #26359
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm a tech. Wish I could be better at math but I'm not. Anyone here that thinks that I don't value higher math is wrong. I only pointed out how two very well educated EE types can appear like kids in a school yard fight when their math/theory clashes with each other. A world without high math would be a distasteful place indeed.

That being said, no math formula pointed the way for DeForest to take a wiggly piece of wire and insert it between the anode and cathode of a diode.

Nor did it remind Bob Pease to put on his seat belt.

The inventor of the ADAT, Keith Barr, never went to college. He would tell his engineers "stop calculating and just build it up and see if it works" There was a time in the mid 90's when there were more ADAT's sold than all other digital multi-track recorders combined.

Oh! And when an EE brings me his gear to fix it because he can't, well wait a minute! the EE is supposed to be smarter than me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
(shame on you Robert, fawning sycophant!).
What is wrong with acknowledging greatness and using what knowledge has been graciously supplied on this thread; at least that which I can undrestand
Old 15th August 2012, 06:12 PM   #26360
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Interestingly, in my country there's been a spirited discussion whether the MAIN goal of education is not so much to pump knowledge and facts into your brain but precisely to learn the ability to reason and be critical. That way, you can handle any situation, even those never envisoned when you were doing your education.
We discussed this in Lounge, "University has no clothes". The problem is, Western education is more and more business oriented, like sale of certain skills to get a job. Things change.

Hide this!Advertise here!