John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2582 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 03:21 PM   #25811
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I dunno. That's often the case, but my Altec A5s are pretty big - similar to the MBL - and don't give me that over-sized sound. And I do sit too close. That's what I found striking about the MBL, it's extreme resolution, detail, realistic harmonic structure, etc. And yet it sounds too big. Why? A set-up problem or something inherent in the technology?
Most loudspeakers are anything but omnidirectional. When one looks at the problem of sound reproduction (as opposed to simulation of a musical instrument with a complex pattern of directivity) omni is not necessarily better, unless somehow the recording has been made to exploit this.

Note the comments made about solo "instruments", probably indicative of what would be the best candidates for exploiting the MBLs.
Old 8th August 2012, 04:32 PM   #25812
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Einstein was talking about quantum mechanics, not statistical mechanics? These are very different: SM says we don't know what each molecule is doing but we don't need to know while QM says we can't know because 'doing' is not definable in classical terms.

I don't see big difference.
Old 8th August 2012, 04:48 PM   #25813
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I don't see big difference.
But there is. One is, "It's too difficult to find out as a practical matter but you don't need to," the other is, "The question itself, while grammatically correct, has no physical meaning." The latter is a tough pill for many to swallow, but that's the universe we're living in.
Old 8th August 2012, 04:54 PM   #25814
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Fred Hoyle had an interesting take on QM which he was able to expouse when he was the guest essayist in a volume of the Annual Reviews of Astronomy and Astrophysics. These contributions are invited and not refereed. Most astronomers I knew were embarrassed by the piece; I found it intriguing, if not quite as much of an epiphany as did Sir Fred.

EDIT: The piece is in the 1982 ARAA and titled The Universe: Past and Present Reflections. He also plugs JBL at one point, mentioning hearing some speakers they had at Kitt Peak.

Last edited by bcarso; 8th August 2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: ref acquired
Old 8th August 2012, 05:06 PM   #25815
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I dunno. That's often the case, but my Altec A5s are pretty big - similar to the MBL - and don't give me that over-sized sound. And I do sit too close. That's what I found striking about the MBL, it's extreme resolution, detail, realistic harmonic structure, etc. And yet it sounds too big. Why? A set-up problem or something inherent in the technology?
Radials sound 'big' because they give the perspective
of being amongst the orquestra rather than in the
audience.
Old 8th August 2012, 05:06 PM   #25816
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
In the case of music, what is the time domain function of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild side"?

Anyways, there is theory and application, and I hope to have pointed out a shortcoming of FFT in its application for audio analysis. Important information gets lost.

vac
How long is the song? If you accept a 5 min CD version as being acceptible, you have 52.92M-byte as a acceptible limit on the total information. The 13.23M-sample FFT of each channel contains the same information. Maybe you can't use this frequency domain information for anything useful, that is not the point.

Maybe we should talk about IIR filters, four numbers streaming through a file with simple multiply and adds can apply an RIAA characteristic to better than .01dB and fractional degrees of phase. Seems to good to be true.
Old 8th August 2012, 05:08 PM   #25817
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladimirK View Post
No doubt, Anatoly, that this way you are able to adjust the amp at better reproduction of steady sine waves combinations.
However, it is not clear, do you improve single pulse reproduction by suppressing 40 Hz IM product, and what is a criterion for good pulse signal reproduction.
It was an example of usage of one of tools for what it can be used. However, screwdriver can be used as a rudimentary hammer, but it is not optimal.
Old 8th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #25818
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mostly --- its the omni characteristic and the larger speaker driver radiating area spread out (vertically).
Old 8th August 2012, 05:21 PM   #25819
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
But there is. One is, "It's too difficult to find out as a practical matter but you don't need to," the other is, "The question itself, while grammatically correct, has no physical meaning." The latter is a tough pill for many to swallow, but that's the universe we're living in.
Does not matter.

Look how it is "simple" and "elegant":

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...9RNrqtLQ&pli=1
Old 8th August 2012, 05:21 PM   #25820
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Maybe you can't use this frequency domain information for anything useful, that is not the point.
Actually, it can be useful. Here's one example: say you're worried about the phase shift from the anti-aliasing and anti-imaging filters. Multiply the frequency domain data by the inverse phase function, then back-transform to the time domain. Voila! Flat phase curve!

Hide this!Advertise here!