John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Lower effective mass, for example. I am not completely without knowledge.

You are not without knowledge, that’s why I expect you not using such broad generalisations.

Lower effective mass is to be weighted against other attributes of the cart construction.
But even viewed in isolation, the contribution of the coil assy (MC) compared to the magnet (MM) or the iron (MI) on the total effective mass of the cartridge moving mechanism, is not that great as advertised.
Do the calculations and find out yourself.
The attachment is of help.

George

Attachments

• ve_equiv_mass_fact_fiction_audio_mar_78.pdf
    734.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Universality of man knows no boundaries, merely the fragrance of the cash differs.
Place subjects in an identical environment, and they all behave identical. (rare exceptions are near extinct species)

I was curious about your experience with respect to audiophilia. My limited contact with that crowd would indicate no interest at all in the music and consequently not its reproduction.

I was curious about your experience with respect to audiophilia. My limited contact with that crowd would indicate no interest at all in the music and consequently not its reproduction.
My experience also.....the Sanyo three-in-one or equivalent that they bought when first married still in service 30 years later.
That and/or a mediocre surround system, to them sounds 'fantastic'.
Amongst my well heeled customers, this is not universal, but by far the majority.
Things other than music take priority...like working 60+ hours per week.

Dan.

Vinyl Dinosaurs....

I found a good use for vinyl.....:tongue:.
vinyl dino.jpg
Vinili tagliati per creare opere d’arte | D-VERSO
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=vinyl+art&num=50&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBAU569AU569&espv=2&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X-EkU7qILoPJiAf-wIHoCw&ved=0CDUQsAQ

Dan.

Last edited:
with respect to audiophilia.

Why spend cold hard cash on audio gear, if one already has the most expensive hobby.

Most I've met/know, who put a few hundred grand in audio gear, are commonly gay.
And usually very much into monumental houses, art, 2nd home in France or Italy.
A convertible car also scores high on the hotlist, but definitely not boats.

Not all of them with fancy jobs btw. I've worked with a duo/couple that did everything from delivering parts to a ship in Africa, to tracking down a stolen yacht, to guarding a hotel 24/7. (ESMA, your partner in ship repair, shipbuilding and transportation!)
But only together, both unskilled, made a ton of cash. Awesome audio system.

(most folks see me as a bore when I talk audio)

Last edited:

As you can see below , it's commonly gay ..... :D

Why spend cold hard cash on audio gear, if one already has the most expensive hobby.

Most I've met/know, who put a few hundred grand in audio gear, are commonly gay.
)

I'm sure wurcer is blushing on this one , enuff gold John ..?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 242
Lower effective mass is to be weighted against other attributes of the cart construction.
But even viewed in isolation, the contribution of the coil assy (MC) compared to the magnet (MM) or the iron (MI) on the total effective mass of the cartridge moving mechanism, is not that great as advertised.

The attachment

Thanks very much for putting this up. It's hard to re-imagine the day so long ago that a mainstream audio magazine would include real numbers.

Thanks again,
Chris

Do you know which cartridge has the record for the lowest effective mass? The lowest I'm aware of is 0.055mg, and that cartridge was... yes, an MM.

The biggest PITA cartridge I had was the ADC 26 & 25 sets. I don't know what the effective mass stood at. They tracked at really impossible low downforce. The behaved like thistledown in a wind tunnel on all but the flattest records. The only arm which I could find for it was an early Mayware unipivot - which jumped in the air far too frequently. Yet, on a good flat record that cartridge was magic.

blushing on this one

Ah, the brand that uses one ferrite for each AD797. :clown:
Their integrated opamp/heatsink modules are pretty though.

(My g/f has a collegue who prefers to divide his time over two hospitals, one is a 60 mile drive from his home. That way he can claim huge travel expenses, on top of a base salary of several hundred thousand dollars. Bloke drives a really old barrel, >25 years old, even does the maintenance himself. In his late 50s, works 60hrs a week + travel time, owns three houses in the chique parts of The Hague, is thinking of buying property in Brazil. One problem he has, is feeling really lonely. Translated to English, his name is Randy Leather, which suits him rather well)

Attachments

• Boulder module.jpg
    Boulder module.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.