John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2433 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2012, 11:59 PM   #24321
diyAudio Member

Try with 100dB gain.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:00 AM   #24322
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Everything that looks like aside looks sexy, if don't understand how it works.
No free cheese in this world exist, except in a mouse trap. All decisions have to be carefully weighted. I use servos in dynamic load of tubes on gyrators, but I don't add more of gain in the servo loop than is needed to stabilize working point. If additional amplifiers are used in servos, you have to remember that this amplifiers have own properties, like noises and distortions, and this noises and distortions are added to the amp that you stabilize using servo. Each and every particular case have to be weighted, what it brings more: harm, or goodness.

And of course the amp with even matched JFETs like in John's favorite topology would benefit from a servo that uses good opamp, but it does not mean that any amp would benefit equally.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 10th July 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10th July 2012, 02:03 AM   #24323
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

When a servo does replace even a high quality capacitor, the sound often improves becuase of the low freq extention --- but not because of freqs but because of lowered group delay..... the audible group delay effect builds with multiple roll offs from various connected equipment if they all used coupling caps..... so go all direct coupled from source to speaker.
The little (Marsh) headphone amp talked about here (DIYAudio) and published in Linear Audio does not use a DC servo and is rock solid dc stable on the output vs temp and drift and has thd below -100db into 30 Ohms. No IC's used. I dont see why any other low gain line level stage shouldnt be able to do as well without servo. High dc gain circuits is another matter. -RNM

Last edited by RNMarsh; 10th July 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10th July 2012, 02:10 AM   #24324
diyAudio Member

Go for it, everyone. To heck with servos. '-)
Old 10th July 2012, 03:14 AM   #24325
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Go for it, everyone. To heck with servos. '-)
Right !
Back to best capacitor / application
rated by :
DC voltage accross
AC voltage accross
AC current through
Old 10th July 2012, 06:17 AM   #24326
Account disabled at member's request

John, do you know how 2sk363 is noise wise, no details are supplied in datasheet. Ive found a supplier and looking to purchase large number for future edeavors, only line level and amps use.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:42 AM   #24327
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemodder View Post
John, do you know how 2sk363 is noise wise, no details are supplied in datasheet. Ive found a supplier and looking to purchase large number for future edeavors, only line level and amps use.
Same chip as in the long-gone 2SK147. Make sure you buy enough for everyone

Very low noise. 700pV/rt Hz at 10mA, typical.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:54 AM   #24328

Thanks, I wasnt sure about this part on the flicker noise. Ive had agent look for them for the past year and a half and he has finally had some luck ,what should be enough till my retirement age.
Old 10th July 2012, 06:59 AM   #24329
diyAudio Member

Could be good, could be bad on flicker noise. That may be WHY they don't spec. it very well. I had a bad batch of 2SK147's about 20 years ago, had to send them back to the distributor. I would be careful.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:23 AM   #24330

Thats what Im afraid of, toshiba didnt specify noise on these for some reason if they are the same chip as 147. I hope they will ok for intended use, I just cant find reasonably prices Jfets with high gm anywhere else.

Hide this!Advertise here!