Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 07:05 PM   #24241
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
first cycle of the carrier?
That to me is the issue.
I hope we are not going to revive first cycle distortion. Let's leave it at opinion.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:21 PM   #24242
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

"1st cycle distortion" = linear (distortion), easily predictable by convolution. I hope we do not speak about too low slew rate that would result in non-linear distortion.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:26 PM   #24243
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Yes.

A reference I've found very helpful: Blinchikoff and Zverev, Filtering in the Time and Frequency Domains. It was out of print for a long time, then reissued; not sure what the status is now.

Brad
Checked and is still available new, and also good offerings in used, according to bookfinder.com.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:36 PM   #24244
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Interesting point in and by itself. I wouldn't call this distortion however, since refraction leads to local dips and peaks in the FR at different angles from the loudspeaker.
Two things

1 sounds bad

2 there are delayed components - "artifacts" oh! not supposed to use that word

so what do we call it? what's the adjective/noun going to be?
Old 6th July 2012, 08:10 PM   #24245
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

"Delayed components" sounds good to me. This has what connection with a simple filter?
Old 6th July 2012, 08:13 PM   #24246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
"1st cycle distortion" = linear (distortion), easily predictable by convolution. I hope we do not speak about too low slew rate that would result in non-linear distortion.
Yes it is calculable. This is for a linear continuous time system, not a sampled system. The question is at what level can this distortion be heard?
Old 6th July 2012, 08:16 PM   #24247
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWW View Post
If the output is not the same as the input in some fashion, what adjective do we use?
Different timbre.
Like speaking in front of a wall and in front of a wall covered by a curtain causes different timbres since curtain absorbs highs. Similarly, capacitor with DA will slightly attenuate highs when it passes the signal between 2 nodes with linear constant resistances.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:19 PM   #24248
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Servos look like a good idea. ;-)
Servos use capacitors _AND_ non-linear and noisy active devices.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:25 PM   #24249
diyAudio Member

FrankWW, what I intend to say is the following.

Diffraction around edges, ridges etc. creates independant wave fronts that may combine (di)(con)structively with the driver as the primary sound source. This creates an interference pattern that flip-flops when taking measurements from different angles. In other words, the FR can show significant shifts even at distances well within normal head movements. Phase shifts around as well.

That sounds lousy, pin points the locations of the speakers and destroys stereo imaging, but it is not distortion. It does not show up in measurements as such, and I also can't see what mechanism could cause distortion. Adding two sinoids of the same frequency will produce another sinoid with the same period, even if the two sinoids are different in phase or amplitude. That's what's happening in my eyes, so no distortion products.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:53 PM   #24250
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
"Delayed components" sounds good to me. This has what connection with a simple filter?
Non-minimum phase and memory, not buildable with R's and C's.

Hide this!Advertise here!