John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2349 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 01:48 AM   #23481
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
In which ground, Chris? In my power supplies "ground" starts from where all outputs of all voltage regulators I use are connected in single fat point. It is the ground. What happens on wires before this ground is obvious, but it is not reflected on output of PS, nor on any other "ground" that is connected to this point.
Can't edit, unfortunately. In my current "Nirvana" project I use +6.3V, -120V, +240V, and +420V. All outputs of all supplies are connected together in one point that is the ground. The same approach I use in all my designs, so I do not care what waveform of currents flow to rectifier, from rectifier, through any of it's wires, since they anyway float in respect to the ground.
Old 30th May 2012, 01:59 AM   #23482
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Nothing goes on that could be called a competition, it has been decades of performance art.
Didn't the competition end in '85 with the Carver Challenge ?

"Is it possible to make a $700 'mainstream-audio' power amplifier sound exactly like a high-priced perfectionist amplifier? Bob Carver, of Carver Corporation, seemed to think he could, so we challenged him to prove it. "

"The Final Achievement . . . This time, the listening went on through the whole afternoon and much of the evening, until all of us were listened out. More leisurely listening, refreshed by a good night's sleep, failed to turn up anything. As far as we could determine, through careful comparisons and nit-picking criticisms, the two amplifiers were, in fact, sonically identical. It is a gross understatement to say that we were flabbergasted! "

Last edited by johnferrier; 30th May 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 30th May 2012, 02:08 AM   #23483
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
Me too ( 24V wallwart ) ......
Careful. Those wallwarts will give you frogs.

se
Old 30th May 2012, 02:09 AM   #23484
diyAudio Member

No Johnferrier, it just showed how 'flawed' the double-blind test was. Carver is still making vacuum tube power amps. Why? Is he really that corrupt? '-)
Old 30th May 2012, 02:13 AM   #23485
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, some of us trust our ears. Others have to rely on seeing and preconception.
Old 30th May 2012, 02:20 AM   #23486
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
All outputs of all supplies are connected together in one point that is the ground. The same approach I use in all my designs, so I do not care what waveform of currents flow to rectifier, from rectifier, through any of it's wires, since they anyway float in respect to the ground.
The issue being addressed by this extra complication is of current flow into an imperfect "ground". If grounds were perfect, that is, if no impedances common to dirty sources and clean signal existed, then there would be no issue. Not knowing your circuit, but trusting your abilities, I can only comment that a star ground with no ground loops is "perfect" in this respect.

If a power supply has a "power supply ground" and a single ground wire running over to meet signal ground imbalance currents flow through it. This is then *not* a star ground. If OTOH a power supply of however many parts each completely floats, then no current except that drawn by the loading amplifier flows into "ground".

Thanks,
Chris
Old 30th May 2012, 02:27 AM   #23487
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Chris, once more: The Ground is where Outputs of voltage stabilizers are connected together. Al wires from transformers to that final point are FLOATING. No ground loops. Except through capacitances between secondaries to the shield between them and primaries. But this loops are closed through themselves, and voltage drops on them are not applied anywhere.
Old 30th May 2012, 02:28 AM   #23488
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
If a power supply has a "power supply ground" and a single ground wire running over to meet signal ground imbalance currents flow through it. This is then *not* a star ground. If OTOH a power supply of however many parts each completely floats, then no current except that drawn by the loading amplifier flows into "ground".
What about currents flowing into your reservoir caps? Is everything that comes after the transformer secondary going to be perfectly symmetrical?

se
Old 30th May 2012, 03:32 AM   #23489
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Careful. Those wallwarts will give you frogs.

se
........... I've been swamped before ........
Old 30th May 2012, 03:39 AM   #23490
diyAudio Member

That's another 'secret' SE. Of course, you or SY will not think much of it, so I think I will leave it off the list. I'm tired.

Hide this!Advertise here!