John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2340 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 08:43 AM   #23391
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl
I should go out of my way to . . . Have I gotten this right?
No, not really. You seem to be exaggerating a minor point.

All this talk of hole size wrt wavelength partly misses the point. We don't have a hole, we have a hole plus wire poking almost through the hole. Inside the cage there will be a rapidly decaying (evanescent?) field from the hole, but it doesn't become zero imediately. Poke a conductor into that space immediately behind the hole and you can sample the EM field just outside the cage. To make a good Faraday cage you need small holes (wrt wavelength) and nothing inside the cage too near a hole. A regular array of holes is called a diffraction grating, so you could get effects which depend on exactly which direction you hold your phone.

A plastic light tube would probably be fine, unless it acted as a dielectric resonator. Isolating the wires would work - chokes or feedthrough capacitors. Making the circuitry itself relatively RFI immune would also help. I think it is unlikely that adding a panel LED to a well-designed circuit will seriously damage the sound. If it does, then the circuit needed better EMC performance anyway so the LED was a useful diagnostic tool.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:29 PM   #23392
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
3 mm is approximately 1/20 wavelength of 5.8 GHz. I have chassis made of perforated aluminium, full of such holes. Still, no radio reception.
Likewise. Quite a few classic and excellent amps even have tubes on top of the chassis.

Then again, I don't use my cell phone while doing critical listening, its presence next to my left ear unbalances the imaging.
Old 28th May 2012, 02:24 PM   #23393
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
We don't have a hole, we have a hole plus wire poking almost through the hole. Inside the cage there will be a rapidly decaying (evanescent?) field from the hole, but it doesn't become zero imediately.
But he has INSULATED I/O connectors on the rear panel with all those cables going "through the hole" inside the preamp and this is fine??

You guys are exaggerating problems that do not exist and overlooking obvious issues, this is so usual in audio design.
Old 28th May 2012, 03:39 PM   #23394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
But he has INSULATED I/O connectors on the rear panel with all those cables going "through the hole" inside the preamp and this is fine??

You guys are exaggerating problems that do not exist and overlooking obvious issues, this is so usual in audio design.

Thanks PMA , a simple search of PMA as the author and "connnector" as the subject brought me a whole new world to ponder...
dennis h
Old 28th May 2012, 03:43 PM   #23395
diyAudio Member

What I am being 'criticized' for not adding an LED. '-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc blowtorch open[1]-2.jpg (99.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 1302013687.jpg (43.0 KB, 169 views)
Old 28th May 2012, 03:48 PM   #23396
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Mr Curl,
looks fine to me, without the LED.
Old 28th May 2012, 03:49 PM   #23397
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
What I am being 'criticized' for not adding an LED. '-)
No, your questionable reasoning was criticized, not you.
Old 28th May 2012, 05:58 PM   #23398
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA
No, just explaining why an LED in a high RFI environment apparently giving rise to audio problems does not mean that LEDs damage sound but it could mean that the wires to the LED are breaching the screen. This is to correct two opposing views:
1. LEDs damage sound. (No they don't, but the wires might if there is poor EMC performance elsewhere in the circuit.)
2. A panel LED can't possibly damage the sound. (True for the LED itself, but it needs wires and they might have an effect.)
I agree that it is likely to be a small problem.

Of course, other wires might cause problems too but we are not talking about other wires.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:01 PM   #23399
diyAudio Member

My questionable reasoning has made me very well known and respected as an audio designer. The Vendetta Research phono stage had the same dilemma and we never added an LED, as well.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:09 PM   #23400
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Of course, other wires might cause problems too but we are not talking about other wires.
It would be nice to distinguish between important and unimportant issues. As usually, unimportant 'issues' attract much more attention than necessary and important issues are not discussed.

Hide this!Advertise here!