John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2336 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 06:08 PM   #23351
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
I'm cynical about your professed level of audio knowledge and understanding.
For some reason, i can actually understand what Mr Yaniger writes.

(which has little meaning, for i'm a total and utter idiot, and i drool a lot)
Old 27th May 2012, 06:08 PM   #23352
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
When there actually are audible differences, yes. Very basic physics, in fact.
I agree SY.

But ....how to connect the two... to the final aspect of hearing it, and what all that means in the grand total sense with all the minutiae properly placed and thought out..... there's the rub.

The problem tends to come down to the point of one's expression on human limits of perception. A seeming projected idealization of one's current capacity for discernment, as defining limits for and of others.

Once tripped through the logical flow parameters required, we get to an aspect regarding issues that surround and involve self review. From which no-one, that I am aware of, is excepted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5RezHp9GtI

Last edited by KBK; 27th May 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:17 PM   #23353
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:

Once tripped through the logical flow parameters required, we get to an aspect regarding issues that surround and involve self review.
Sorry, haven't done that since 1970. I found it unpleasant, much preferred wine.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:31 PM   #23354
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Sorry, haven't done that since 1970. I found it unpleasant, much preferred wine.
Click the image to open in full size.

the flippancy of humorous retort can indeed release tension or similar issues but it can also enable one to hide.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:56 PM   #23355
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I can't really answer gibberish.

BTW, I had lunch a couple times with your partner down here. Very nice fellow.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:25 PM   #23356
diyAudio Member

Wow! All this over NOT putting an UNNECESSARY LED as a pilot light.
For the record, I use LED's in the JC-1, JC-2, and JC-3, all 'A' rated products. I even use LED's as bias diodes in the output stage of the JC-2 preamp.
It might well be the mere installation of the LED is the true problem, in some circumstances, the skimpy unshielded wires, the necessary hole made in the front chassis and the extra diameter often needed by the plastic housing for the LED, could be problematic.
PMA should be jumping up and down over this, by now. He certainly has given me enough grief over the 'imperfect' but necessary holes in the back of the chassis, for inputs, outputs and power supply wires.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:59 PM   #23357
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your vocabulary is unfortunate. The problem is left brain-right brain communication. Left brain is analytical and very verbal - drills down like a microscope. Right brain is big picture and less verbal - displays like rich field telescope.

Things don't go as well as they might when the two sides don't communicate well. And that can be difficult as the side that is 'sending the message' does so by inhibiting the conscious activity of the other. The other side doesn't always allow itself to be inhibited.

This is not always easy to spot in self or others unless the situation is extreme.

See Iain McGilchrist.

Quote:
Don't forget to add 'how humans hear' to this physics scenario, otherwise the physics will be quite misapplied and quite wrong....as it is a sum equation, not a dogmatic biblical physics exception.

One might say that the dogmatic issue is part of the human body's most basic design, part of the autonomous function of subconscious expression and I/o filtering.

Thus no physicist, with any sort of true in-depth self honesty, should ever find themselves incapable of bearing the full brunt of their own in-depth self-reflection.

Yet, that is the condition of ~99.999% of all humanity, deeply unaware and incapable of facing the depth of the self. To find the self-lie or missed point. Buried in the autonomous function, outside of logic and conscious rumination.

Science and physics can be as faulted as any religion or dogma that it proposes to sweep away.

This is due to the incapacity (which can be corrected) for self-reflection of the people that are within it.

This is a basic truism, borne into existence through any form of bare self honesty that encompasses any form of depth.

Have fun dealing with it.
Old 27th May 2012, 08:16 PM   #23358
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Who are you referring to?
People who build gear for their studio copying famous designs. Any design have limitations, and their respective designers know them well. People who copy them don't. That's why problems happen more often than when other people design their own gear, less famous, or even unknown.
Old 27th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #23359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
'Incorrect ideas' to your own view. Your own view doesn't make any idea correct or incorrect, outside of your own mind.
The difference between his view and your view is, you have knowledge and experience in different fields.
Old 27th May 2012, 08:21 PM   #23360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Look at how an LED deals with transient function, regarding V and A and see what it reflects back to the power supply.
I often use LEDs in power supplies as voltage references, and the gear sounds much more natural than majority of similar things available from stores and dealers.

Hide this!Advertise here!