Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2012, 03:35 AM   #23311
diyAudio Member

Thanks JCX, of course, that is the main reason.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:54 AM   #23312
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Chris Sugar, thank you for sharing. Your experience is illuminating.
Yes, it illuminates what happens when Prodigy Pro guys copy different parts of different examples of famous equipment mixing them together.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:57 AM   #23313
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris Sugar has made a valid observation not so much in the defense of John Curl so are some of you going to ridicule him because of it or is refuting everything John Curl says the main sport of the day.

Sometimes I feel that a bunch of you need to grow up................If you disagree say so, state your reasons and move on

Jam
Old 27th May 2012, 03:59 AM   #23314
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post
If you disagree say so, state your reasons and move on
I did. So did DF96. Any questions?
Old 27th May 2012, 05:25 AM   #23315
diyAudio Member

To the outside observer it looks like some sort of Vendetta................no pun intended.

So Mr.Curl does not want to use an led.........lets not make a federal case out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tym0MObFpTI

Jam

Last edited by jam; 27th May 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 27th May 2012, 05:43 AM   #23316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
Do your monitors have 2 or 3 wire mains connection ?
3 pin IEC. I tried to disconect the earth pin just to see if it is a case of "standing on one leg" antenna situation (this was the reason I mentioned the room is 25-30meters above earth) but no there was no difference. Also didn't mentioned that before I opened the speakers for inspection I tried to do different power cleaning tricks. Even used an isolation transformer with screen between windings to eliminate the capacitive coupling of RF garbage. No improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
Re-connecting with a resistor or a conventional forward-biased diode in place of the LED would narrow the mystery, but probably not worth the effort after all the grief it's already put you through. My money's on injection into the ground, but you've doubtlessly figured something along those lines.
This was long ago and finding the problem after so much frustration was such a relief that I didn't bother to check if just desoldering one pin of each LED would solve or not the problem. Of course it was a case of injecting garbage into ground.

Quote:
Chris Sugar has made a valid observation not so much in the defense of John Curl so are some of you going to ridicule him because of it or is refuting everything John Curl says the main sport of the day.
What I shared was simply my experience and in no way you should take it like my intention to defend John Curl. Sincerely , although I respect him for what he done in audio, most of the time I find his claims related to various problems being unacceptable.
I think in general, audiophiles observe certain audio phenomenons but most of the time they associate wrong conclusions to the problem.

I do not exclude that my observation that the LEDs were the source of problem is wrong and the wires connecting them were injecting RF into the active speaker but after doing all those tests with ferrites, capacitors etc, it is the only sane reason I can find. But I repeat again, I'm open to accept my conclusion is wrong. Probably one day I will redo the experiment just to see if the LED were the source of problem or the wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Yes, it illuminates what happens when Prodigy Pro guys copy different parts of different examples of famous equipment mixing them together.
I do not understand what are you talking about. Is this just a cheap shot? I was talking about two devices made by prestigious manufacturers that behave wrongly even if they are not connected to anything only powered.
Most of my mastering tools are designed by myself and very few of them recycle old and good ideas, but mostly they are designed from scratch. And by the way my devices do not produce any problems in that RF polluted environment.

chrissugar
Old 27th May 2012, 05:53 AM   #23317
diyAudio Member

I never did say I agreed with everything Mr.Curl says but but i would not keep attacking him if I disagreed with him.......but beware that you don't find yourself on the wrong side of the fence if you agreed with him.

Jam
Old 27th May 2012, 06:36 AM   #23318
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
I do not understand what are you talking about.
I believe you.

Forward biased by 10 mA current diode demodulates RF inside of the box full of semiconductor devices with nanoamp input currents?

Don't make my slippers laugh please. Most probably that innocent LED was soldered to the ground in wrong place, so it's wire acted as antenna.
Old 27th May 2012, 06:43 AM   #23319
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Sometimes I feel that a bunch of you need to grow up................If you disagree say so, state your reasons and move on

Jam
Same for you, dear Jam
Old 27th May 2012, 06:55 AM   #23320
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Forward biased by 10 mA current diode demodulates RF inside of the box full of semiconductor devices with nanoamp input currents?
You should read carefully what I wrote.
1-only one LED of the two is forward biased the other only conduct when there is an over (which never happens)
2-the two LEDs are 20 cm outside the Faraday cage on the wood front panel (not inside the Faraday cage with all the other semiconductors)
3-the speakers (drivers) are connected with 20cm wires to the Faraday cage and they do not induce RF.

chrissugar

Hide this!Advertise here!