John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2324 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2012, 05:26 AM   #23231
diyAudio Member

I really don't know. I designed that circuit in 1974, as a horn tweeter (T-350) amplifier for a 3 way all-horn loudspeaker system with John Meyer, in Switzerland. It worked quite well, at the time.
Mark Levinson wanted a slightly 'improved' version in 1975, for a small amplifier, which he built.
What is important is that: The amplifier is very fast considering the lowish Ft bipolar transistors available at the time, about 100V/us.
The design followed Otala's recommendation of reducing the open loop gain and increasing the open loop bandwidth.
As the original circuit was operated in Class A, heroic efforts for output stage linearity were not too important.
It was a successful experiment, as it worked very well for the task, sounding better than any other commercial solid state amp that we could find to compare it with. We could use commercial amps up to about 5,000Hz without too much trouble, but above 5KHz, they all sounded lousy, until the Otala prototype arrived within the year, and I bought it immediately, especially for electrostatic headphones. One of the best purchases that I ever made.
Now what does this all mean?
Does it really matter IF the open loop bandwidth is 20KHz? I think so, but it is difficult to get it without compromising the distortion level at near full output. It is just a matter of how much global negative feedback is available. Today, NO Parasound power amp has internal feedback resistors that reduce the open loop gain, it just is not practical.
So where is the argument? I compromise, like just about everybody else, to get 'specs'. I just don't 'sell out' to make a 'spec' at the lowest cost possible, trading any potential sound quality for it.
The CTC Blowtorch is the ONLY product that I have yet produced, that is not 'compromised' by commercial concerns, and I have not made one for at least 5 years and never expect to make another. Yet, I will say, it is the best piece of electronics I have ever made, and I expect it to last me my lifetime. Everything else is a compromise that I would replace, if I had the time and money to do so.
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:41 PM   #23232
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess I scared everyone away! Sorry about that. I hope it is understood that I simply attempted to describe the design philosophy behind the JC-3. It was not a 'tour-de-force' of advanced mathematics, but a mating of a successful line driver with an output stage, to make a small power amplifier. It worked.
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:23 AM   #23233
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Well, I guess I scared everyone away! Sorry about that. I hope it is understood that I simply attempted to describe the design philosophy behind the JC-3. It was not a 'tour-de-force' of advanced mathematics, but a mating of a successful line driver with an output stage, to make a small power amplifier. It worked.
You didn't scare me away. I'm just busy building my preamps right now
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:51 AM   #23234
diyAudio Member

We're *all* guilty of hubris, of believing that the map is the world (our map! and not somebody else's), of believing our linear models of a non-linear world, and of curve-fitting from the safe mechanical known to the dark perceptual unknown. What else can we do? We're a modeling species - it may not even be possible for there to be any other kind of intelligent species.

But sometimes it's also valuable to accept that we don't really know *everything*, and that in the remaining twilight areas the "lore" of experienced trackers is most valuable. That's why I read this thread, for the lore. Thank you for keeping it going.

There's a Tarkovski movie whose title is translated poorly into English as _Stalker_ that comes to mind somehow.

Ruminations, sorry. But thanks for the thread,
Chris
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:57 AM   #23235
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The CTC Blowtorch is the ONLY product that I have yet produced, that is not 'compromised' by commercial concerns, and I have not made one for at least 5 years and never expect to make another. Yet, I will say, it is the best piece of electronics I have ever made, and I expect it to last me my lifetime. Everything else is a compromise that I would replace, if I had the time and money to do so.
If you can do a better one, why not do it? You will be remembered by what you do. And if jfets are not good enough any longer, why not do tubes?
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:46 AM   #23236
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I wanted to ask the same. When speaking about 'not compromised product' (preamplifier), tubes are even better parts than JFETs. Why not 6H30, e.g.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:30 AM   #23237
diyAudio Member

No compliments. BIG part of Johns approach.
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:04 AM   #23238
diyAudio Member

My forte is jfets. I have a lifetime supply. I will leave tubes to people more skilled in that effort, like JC Morrison. I do KNOW that some tubes are really more linear than any jfet can be.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:55 PM   #23239
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My forte is jfets. I have a lifetime supply. I will leave tubes to people more skilled in that effort, like JC Morrison. I do KNOW that some tubes are really more linear than any jfet can be.
The best tubes are not made anymore just like the best jfets
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:03 PM   #23240
wayne is online now wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Well John with your Jfet's you won't have to worry about them breaking in or burning out.

Hide this!Advertise here!