John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2308 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2012, 08:48 PM   #23071
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post

So it while it may be easy to distinguish one wine from another, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
100% correct. One way I can manipulate a red wine so that tyros prefer it but experts hate it is to add a little residual sugar and a little extra alcohol. Thunderbird is the reductio ad absurdum of that observation.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:49 PM   #23072
diyAudio Member

Should I have read the complete A-B double blind test? Why don't you send me a copy?
Quick response from me, huh?
Keep trying SY, however, actually, I am on YOUR side. I KNOW that there are differences between wines, I just can't PROVE IT, with a double blind test.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:56 PM   #23073
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I KNOW that there are differences between wines, I just can't PROVE IT, with a double blind test.
Sure you can, it's trivial. People do it every day and the literature is full of it. Ask anyone with a WSET, MS, or MW certification or who sits on judging panels at the Cal State Fairs. They all have to identify wines double blind to qualify.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:03 PM   #23074
diyAudio Member

I was right about the wine price spacings: 5 pounds, 10 pounds, and 30 pounds.
DUH!
Old 11th May 2012, 09:05 PM   #23075
diyAudio Member

Well, I listen to people who don't NEED to do double-blind testing to make comparisons, because LIVING with a component, over time, is a crucial factor in listening comparisons. You CAN'T do that with a double-blind test.

Last edited by john curl; 11th May 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:09 PM   #23076
diyAudio Moderator

Sure you can. Read my little article in Linear Audio, September 2011.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:19 PM   #23077
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
The only difference would be noise but only audible with volume
pushed well beyond the level at wich the nominal input level
would clip the amp.

All that would be left to compare would be either the noise
repartition , of course with no input signal or eventually
the accurracy of the preamps s RIAA curves if a signal
is to be compared...
There are sonic differences Wahab, it may be noise, which add more grain and hardness to the sound, even when not grainy, sometimes , dead sounding is enuff to turn you off on a product...

Most tubes do that to me , where Class-d is too much grain and hardness , makes it difficult to live with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Sure you can. Read my little article in Linear Audio, September 2011.

Long term testing, did you give it to Stevie Wonder ......
Old 11th May 2012, 09:40 PM   #23078
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
If that is what you want, George, then you don't have to listen to me. Just buy my cheapest stuff and learn what can be made at a relatively low price. I might remind you that this thread has more 'hits' than any other, on this website. I must be saying something 'useful' to somebody out there. I do wish that they would come out of the 'woodwork' and give their feedback, because I do tire of being told that I am wasting my time here, both by my colleagues in hi end audio design, and by my critics, here.
Mr. Curl

In here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
With all due respect…
I made it clear (*)that what I have been benefited from this thread is through what all the participants have offered themselves, most often than not OT stuff.

From Your contribution, I have “kept note” of topologies suggested, the only topic that you became “technical”. The rest were and are personal preferences - -passive components choice, discrete v. ICs, special internal wires, interconnects ect-, with no hard data for support, as I would expect from a designer but repeatedly justified by the “what is needed to get an A rating in the X High End Magazine” saga.

I am sorry if I expect from you to do better here.
I know you can. (**)

But probably you may not intend to. (I still remember your suggestion -warning?- to Joachim not to give off that much on RIAA preamp. innovative designs here for free to the masses. Joachim must have been blind! Lots of sub $100 implementable and documented designs so far).

My –often rude- comments do not target You as a person, rather Your insistence to guide everything towards (or value everything acc. to) the High End MARKET norms.

Visualize it as DIY v. MARKET philosophy and intentions conflict.

George

(*)Simon has made an open question
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post2993886

(**) Like your emphasis on meticulous cleaning the component leads before soldering. Thank You.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:49 PM   #23079
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
100% correct. One way I can manipulate a red wine so that tyros prefer it but experts hate it is to add a little residual sugar and a little extra alcohol. Thunderbird is the reductio ad absurdum of that observation.
So so true. I have an "inside" guy at Trader Joe's who calls me to alert me to what he considers to be good values in wine and that he expects to sell out rapidly.

I have learned that he likes something a trifle "off-dry". I generally do not, with the exception of the occasional top-notch Riesling with a nice acid backbone. Otherwise, it's the very-infrequent full-throttle sticky wines, or I'd prefer not to bother.

So when I get the heads-up from Howie I have to taste first before committing to any quantity. Otherwise I wind up with wines ideal for barbecues and picnics --- that is, for others to drink. And the other "secret" there is to make sure they don't get too warm.

Having said that, I have enjoyed, over the years, persuading people who protest that fine wine, particularly red wine, is wasted on them, to taste a properly-aged red. Some have thereafter protested that their new-found appreciation is more a curse than a blessing.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:21 PM   #23080
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
The homeless shelter was just down the block.
Reminds me of the night i spent in a park, just missed the ferry home (after a month of backpacking in Scotland and the UK Lake District)
At 6 in the morning, 2 volunteers from the local SA woke us up, returned five minutes later with an old thermos and thoroughly burnt toast, wrapped in aluminum foil.
Told us to just leave the thermos bottle on the grass when we left.

The sugar content blasted the fillings off your teeth, best darn coffee i recall having.

After C&T brekkie, i put on my $200 US manufacture hiking shoes, rolled up the $500 & 90% goose down sleeping bag, buckled up the >>$1K Lowe backpack & tent, both specifically designed for a Nanga Parbat expedition tour a few years before, and left for the docks.

Never look a bum in the mouth, when he hands you a Thunderbird.

Hide this!Advertise here!