John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2301 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 05:53 PM   #23001
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Write-Off

A new 750 does $45K here, used ones go under 20
(gets even worse when the 750PSU unit is included. one might think coils are a bad investment)
I see 3 inductors, 3 ICs (two with heatsinks as mentioned), two relays, and a bunch of R and C. This does not look like it could be all that wideband as is alleged.

I'm pretty sure it sounds o.k. Price is steep.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:12 PM   #23002
diyAudio Member

Something is wrong, I don't see the whole thing, it looks like 1/2 of something.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:37 PM   #23003
diyAudio Member

I must say, that no matter if we find more to this unit, it is OVERPRICED! Now, how can I say this? I make stuff equally or even more costly, so who am I to agree with the rest of you?
Well, look at it, count the parts, the build quality, etc.etc. It just isn't there. Parasound sells something nearly equal in chassis construction and certainly in parts quality for $2300, so this phono stage appears to be priced about 5 times over its general worth in the marketplace. It is unfortunate when this happens, but it does.
It is like when, decades ago, GM 'tarted' up a Chevy chassis and called it a Cadillac. People, knowing that Cad's used to be a completely different, better design, revolted, as they well should have, and GM dropped their attempt.
I hope people will see through this attempt to overcharge the public with a 'cheap to make' component.

Last edited by john curl; 10th May 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:47 PM   #23004
hags is offline hags  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Well you're doing something wrong, those guys are laughing all the way to the bank rolling IC's. Costs a lot more than the BT and looks like a lot less work and TAS thinks it kicks butt.
I thought the exact same thing.

That must come in one hell of an enclosure.

Not totally surprising though. You can tell people what they hear. You can spoon-feed them hyperbole, group think and manufactured concensus and they'll buy it.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:49 PM   #23005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Something is wrong, I don't see the whole thing, it looks like 1/2 of something.
I assume it's one channel. The pinout on the unheatsunk IC makes sense, looks like some inverting connection with diode clamps to the rail. What's REL2?
Old 10th May 2012, 06:50 PM   #23006
diyAudio Member

Perception sells.

Parasound could repackage the JC-1 in a nice, heavy, machined hunk of aluminum and call it the John Curl Signature edition and sell it for 3-5 times the price.

It'd sell too.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:53 PM   #23007
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hags View Post
I thought the exact same thing.

That must come in one hell of an enclosure.
All in the eye of the beholder:
soulution 720/721 preamplifier

Looks more like a cash register or older gas pump to me but they claim to have gotten design awards for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soulution_1003_022.jpg (37.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 10th May 2012, 06:57 PM   #23008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
All in the eye of the beholder:
soulution 720/721 preamplifier

Looks more like a cash register or older gas pump to me but they claim to have gotten design awards for it.
Mmm, no, that doesn't do it for me. At least they heatsinked 2 of the 8 pin dips.
Old 10th May 2012, 06:58 PM   #23009
diyAudio Member

I don't think we could 'improve' the JC-1 that much to make it sell for $25,000, but I could design something that could. And LOOK at what you get with a JC-1, the quality of the components, (no IC's in the audio path), the fit and finish, as well as the heat sink area. And we ONLY charge $9000 a pair, '-).
Old 10th May 2012, 07:01 PM   #23010
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I assume it's one channel. The pinout on the unheatsunk IC makes sense, looks like some inverting connection with diode clamps to the rail. What's REL2?
Agree with John and Scott, one channel. REL2 looks like a reed relay of some sort, for exactly what I have no idea.

Hide this!Advertise here!