John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
scott wurcer said:
Jan did you ever try two with the resistor between the pin2's as an OL diff-out/phase-splitter? Maybe a good front end for bridged amps or circlotrons.
Scott, you can read my mind ;). Have the same question to Jan. R's between pin2's and pin5's as well (and hence no GND currents). And if we allow for some feedback this dual could be used as fully diff. gain block, too, SuSy-style. Or as a nice ZF xfomer input and such.

EDIT: oops, I see pin5 differential would be sketchy, we'd need something to have a stable DC op. point.

- Klaus

The pin3's can be used as differential inputs or single-ended of either phase. The common mode is undefined if you put the gain resistor between pin5's only. There is nothing to stop you from putting a resistor to ground on each and a gain adjust between them. You could also use common-mode feedback to the output. I think the JC-80 had both input and output servos for offset and common-mode ?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tom Danley said:
[snip]It seems to me that part of the issue may be that that the operating temperature has a strong effect on some semiconductor properties. In systems which are not class A, the internal temperatures would go up and down with signal history, leaving room for a possible shift in operation having some modestly short time constant.
[snip],
Tom Danley

Danley Sound Labs

Hmmm. The devices in a class A amp will have a higher average temp, but it seems to me that there still is the thermal cycling over the signal cycle, so I don't see any difference here.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
scott wurcer said:

Jan did you ever try two with the resistor between the pin2's as an OL diff-out/phase-splitter? Maybe a good front end for bridged amps or circlotrons.

Yes I did, years ago, constructing what in effect was a MAX435/436 (and that is obsolete, yes).
AFAIR there wasn't any significant difference in linearity wrt the se version.

jd

janneman said:

Hmmm. The devices in a class A amp will have a higher average temp, but it seems to me that there still is the thermal cycling over the signal cycle, so I don't see any difference here.

In this one current through an output device is almost constant:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147916

and the previous version had a source-drain voltage almost constant as well. As the result, temperature, transconductance, capacitances' variations were minimal. It was the best amp I ever heard, though I paid for the quality by electricity (1.5 KW dissipation).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
EUVL said:
Jan,

What range of close loop gain have you tried with the AD844, and how does that affects the sonics ?

I also find the application in phono interesting :

http://www.lcaudio.com/images/Accessories/riaadia.gif

Patrick

Interesting application. I would discard C103, C105 & C108, since there is a servo anyway. Maybe connect the servo more upfront. Just thinking out loud here.

I guess you mean what gain in this mode, ol? The gain isn't the determining factor for sound quality, it's the input and output signal levels. You should keep Vin below a volt if possible, and Vout below 3 or 4 volts. Above that, it still sounds good ;) but measured distortion goes up.
I also like to run them close to max supply (+/-16.5) to maximize undistorted levels.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wavebourn said:

In this one current through an output device is almost constant:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147916

and the previous version had a source-drain voltage almost constant as well. As the result, temperature, transconductance, capacitances' variations were minimal. It was the best amp I ever heard, though I paid for the quality by electricity (1.5 KW dissipation).

Yes sure but this 'Anatoliy creation' is not your run-of-the-mill class A amp ;)

jd

janneman said:

jd

Hi Jan,

Interestingly, with a class A amp the output stage power dissipation actually goes down as output power increases. So temperatures still tend to swing with the program material, but somewhat in the opposite direction to that of a class AB amp (which tends to increase with output power until about one-third max power, then derease somewhat for higher power levels).

If one is willing to deal with a bit of gm doubling, one can over-bias a class AB amplifier to the point where the output stage power dissipation changes less as a function of output power.

Cheers,
Bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Interestingly, with a class A amp the output stage power dissipation actually goes down as output power increases.
I can confirm that from my own observations. An early power diamond buffer type output stage design of mine behaves exactly that way. If you really pound it, it runs pretty cool. Opposite to what you might expect, it runs at it's hottest in idle after a few hours.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
anatech said:
Hi Bob,

I can confirm that from my own observations. An early power diamond buffer type output stage design of mine behaves exactly that way. If you really pound it, it runs pretty cool. Opposite to what you might expect, it runs at it's hottest in idle after a few hours.

-Chris

Surprised?
You can’t burn the energy twice.

BTW: Bob, a good post

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi stinius,
I was only pointing out some observations to further support Bob's statement. I am well aware that you will never get more energy out of a system than you put into it. Perpetual motion anyone? ;)

Hi John,
I learned it 44 years ago.
I found out about some of this stuff 44 years ago as well. What I can say with some certainty is that your knowledge of this is more extensive these days than it was when you first learned some of this stuff. Do the math, I was only 6 years old then. :)

There are equations.
Yes there are.

An equation is only one way to describe the situation. There are other perfectly valid ways to say or show the same thing. Personally, I know the equations I work with often enough. For the rest, I look what I need up. I find there are fewer errors made that way. Besides, math is sort of a shorthand way to express ideas. A dangerous way if you don't carefully consider absolutely everything when attaching numbers and expressions for your unknowns. The sad thing about talking about things in a math context is that you frequently loss the idea in the numbers. Another consideration is that some times you only need a trend or ballpark for an answer. Equations tend to focus some people too closely and they can't see the forest for the trees.

-Chris

Easy is better than complex. Chris, you are making it complex. This happens when techs try to do what engineers are trained to do. It is easier, in this case, to use the engineering equations.
Someone: Dimitri, Cordell, Wurcer, please bail out this situation. It is on a page of a favorite book owned by most of you.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
I am not making anything complex. Just responding to your comment about equations where none are really required. I thought mentioning some of the negatives associated with using an equations was valuable to anyone contemplating that route.

Errors of omission in some instances. In other words, when can we use a simplified equation and when will that lead us astray? Any time someone decides to plug numbers into an equation, they stand the risk of ignoring effects that may be important. Since the numbers worked out (perhaps 10 times by three people), there is a tendency to accept the result that pops out without questioning whether that answer is valid or not. We humans, being lazy, will tend towards an easy answer without considering the situation any further.

Understanding the subject is far more valuable than plugging numbers into an impressive looking equations.

This happens when techs try to do what engineers are trained to do.
Oh John, this is far too easy to ignore.
Techs are the people who recognize and correct the errors that engineers make. :D Technicians take a concept to working reality.

Anyway, that tone you have was a bit insulting, and quite uncalled for.

-Chris

Chris, if you are not an engineer or a physicist, you are not in a position to judge. If you are, please don't make MY life more difficult by parsing with me. My name is still on the head of this thread, and it has gotten over 1 million hits, partially because of this. Please don't drive me away. It is physically painful, at this time, for me to contribute, here. Let us go forward, rather than in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.