John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2286 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2012, 04:49 PM   #22851
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
who
Geberit : ---The Geberit ShowerToilet---

Not too pleased about the engineering inside (but then, i've always been somewhat of an arrog... pri.. )
On the right side of the grounded in-wall socket => The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

(when the moment comes of doing myself in, i sure know where to do it)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 1st May 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 04:57 PM   #22852
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Both Southpaw recordings were done with the same mikes and setup- Scott's condensers running into a Fostex FR2LE. They were mounted in a wooden frame covered with a fuzzy mitten to isolate left and right. The frame was put on a high tech isolation mount (i.e., a folding chair). I've attached a photo of the setup. The guitar is an old Yamaha dreadnaught with the high E-string removed and strung upside down.

For the Lee Barber cut, I used a Blumlein pair of crossed ribbons (Cascade X-15 with modified ribbons and re-transformered), a home-made mike preamp (60dB fixed gain, 1nV/rt-Hz noise), and an Echo Audiofire 2 interface. No silver SATA cable. Mike was about 120cm off the floor, about 1.5 meters away from Lee. Guitar is a Martin, one of the smaller steel string models.

On both sets of recordings, there's no compression, limiting, or EQ. They both make my puppy howl. Ceiling is lower than I'd like, about 3 meters. Concrete floor covered with thick padding and carpet.

Thanks for the info.
From the first listening, Lee Barber’s recording sounds to me better tonally balanced, having more mid-low freq. content, while Southpau’s a bit brighter. But again, different guitars, different voices.
Just one more question: Was Lee Barber sitting in the same place as Southpau on the photo and SY’s crossed ribbons at approx. the same position as Scott’s condensers?
The reason I ask is that after 2-3 listenings, I perceive Lee Barber’s capture as having “space around him”, while Southpau more as “him placed on a screen”.
May be, the seat and back panel of the folded chair have done some things to the received sound. (condensers are also both facing forward).

At a feature recording event, since your floor is concrete, you may try placing the mikes directly on the floor (ground plane arrangement).
This technique started from speech recording studios, moving to live opera recordings - on at least one - important stage(s) already some years ago.
Multipath effects minimization in theory.
Better speech intelligibility and better space ambience information capture in practice.
In your case, it will save one chair too.

George
Old 1st May 2012, 05:03 PM   #22853
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The carpet and pad are an issue for PZM-style miking. I'm interested in trying a suspended version similar to Pierre Sprey.

Lee was sitting a bit farther out into the room, maybe an extra meter. The mike polar pattern differences are very much responsible for the imaging and soundstage variations. I like the midrange tonality of the ribbon better, but the definition and high treble of Scott's mikes wipe mine out.

We had quite a few forum members present for these shows; it's an amazing amount of fun. BTW, the box on the left where my guitars and banjos are leaning is one of my subwoofers. It doubles as a printer stand and a convenient place to leave my wine glass.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:16 PM   #22854
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Indeed, an issue but not necessarily a problem.
You can arrange for (experiment with) pads placed between mic and carpet. Difference in reflectivity and difference in surface area are the tuning parameters.

George
Old 1st May 2012, 05:40 PM   #22855
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Unfortunately, my apartment is old enough NOT to have a 3rd wire connected in the outlets. What should I do?
Click the image to open in full size.

Remove the outlet cover screw. Plug it in. Put the outlet cover screw back in through the hole in the tab on the plug.

Even though older homes were wired with two prong outlets, the in-wall wiring usually used three conductor cable with the safety ground connected to the metal outlet box (same with the metal boxes for light fixtures).

se
Old 1st May 2012, 05:43 PM   #22856
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
Good for you. That's one thing about high end,
as opposed to mass marketing, one has a little
more slack with the ' rules '.
It also just shows how ignorant many of the high end manufacturers are.

se
Old 1st May 2012, 06:08 PM   #22857
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Remove the outlet cover screw. Plug it in. Put the outlet cover screw back in through the hole in the tab on the plug.

Even though older homes were wired with two prong outlets, the in-wall wiring usually used three conductor cable with the safety ground connected to the metal outlet box (same with the metal boxes for light fixtures).

se
Yes, BX cable had and outside metal sheath and they didn't have plastic work boxes back then. You might still want to check the outlet with one of those little thingies with the three lights.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:17 PM   #22858
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
Indeed, an issue but not necessarily a problem.
You can arrange for (experiment with) pads placed between mic and carpet. Difference in reflectivity and difference in surface area are the tuning parameters.

George
George,
I had some trepidation in doing an actual music recording since I know a few folks who do this very seriously and was sure there were going to be several "rookie" mistakes. I thank Rob Danielson for pointing out the same rig with omni capsules made nature recordings that were a little too bright and recommended the cartiod capsules to temper this. As you noticed the image is a little flattened front to back, the omnis get the opposite comment in this regard (some of my fields recordings were almost binaural to some). As I said in my article this is where engineering and art coincide.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:33 PM   #22859
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Unfortunately, my apartment is old enough NOT to have a 3rd wire connected in the outlets. What should I do?
I've been assured by a real Master Electrician that it's (USA) code to install a GFI outlet in place of a two wire outlet.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 1st May 2012, 06:36 PM   #22860
diyAudio Member

Actually, I'm not too worried about what I have.

Hide this!Advertise here!