John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2280 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 10:20 AM   #22791
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
As for Browns gas, Scott, go out and get one (a generating device of that type).

Regarding Russell's Teapot, I was curious, so I went and spent the $6k required to get one.... and tested... for myself.

I was astounded. I have bellied up to the bar. I have walked the walk. I have put my money where my mouth is.

You, on the other hand, have not.
I thought we were talking about the one that uses hydrinos and was over unity where the "inconvienient" side effect was the creation of diamonds and other rare earth elements. The testimonials were from several non-existant scientists IIRC. If not, sorry again. I did the KOH and battery thing when I was a kid, fill jars and light it. Unfortunately I wondered what would happen with salt instead and filled my grandmother's basement with clorine gas, run away!

BTW there's a Unicorn in my garden.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 30th April 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:48 AM   #22792
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

Total hearsay as Unicorns are only seen by "Maidens" - so who told you that fact?

@Thorsten

Keep out of this please.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:04 PM   #22793
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Technology, science and life.
(What’s your viewing angle?)

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magic.jpg (48.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Periodic Cookies.jpg (133.7 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg yolo.jpg (45.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 30th April 2012, 01:19 PM   #22794
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
Elliot has this setup on his site where he uses a bridge rectifier connected to safety ground in order to reduce ground loops. That would cause mayhem in this test!@# Still good for sound.
The bridge used may not be suitable to survive the fault current, depends on the orientation of the silicon die in the case. If the die are planar to the mounting surface, they may fail open and therefore leave the chassis hot to ground. Note: The potting compound is alumina filled epoxy...the alumina is ground powder and detracts from the tensile strength of the epoxy, but generally does not compromise compressive strength (about 17kpsi). If they are 90 degrees to the mounting surface, the aluminum case will most likely contain the force of the explosion so the silicon will melt into a low resistance mass and then clear the breaker. The bridge "fix" must be reliably capable of failing short, and being able to support fault current long enough to clear a 20 amp breaker magnetically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
I am not convinced about the advantages of tying signal ground to chasis ground.
It's needed to assure all metal exposed is bonded to safety ground. Double insulated is also a method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
His remedy in many installations is to have the electricians remove the hot and neutral conductors from the conduit, do as tight a twist of them as feasible, and then reinstall them. He does get a lot of baffled looks
Agreed. NEC is very light with respect to grounding, and really considers it just for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
I have had to return equipment that was manufactured with design assistance from Bill Whitlock, it just did not handle the safety ground correctly.
His work is very good, and covers a lot. But it is indeed incomplete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Miller View Post
Why do power cords affect the sound of equipment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
Well, it's probably either signal contamination from ground loops or something in the fourth dimension. Depends on who you ask.

All good fortune,
Chris
Time?? That fourth dimension?

Seriously, you nailed it. Loops. And coupling..

j

Last edited by jneutron; 30th April 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:40 PM   #22795
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Total hearsay as Unicorns are only seen by "Maidens" - so who told you that fact?

@Thorsten

Keep out of this please.
The Unicorn in the Garden
The cartoon is/was up on youtube.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:56 PM   #22796
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
The Unicorn in the Garden
The cartoon is/was up on youtube.
Thurber - being a source of impeccable authority - can be accepted as the exception which proves the rule.

Had you quoted Myles na Gopaleen as your source I could not have accepted the validity of your claim as he, despite all of the fantastic sightings which he described, never once saw a unicorn!
Thanks.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:00 PM   #22797
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Brown's gas, transmutation of elements, fart on. you really need to do better than this BS that has floated around the internet for years. It's all a crappers delight of nonsense.
I'm supporting you
Old 30th April 2012, 02:00 PM   #22798
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneutron View Post
His work is very good, and covers a lot. But it is indeed incomplete.

Time?? That fourth dimension?

Seriously, you nailed it. Loops. And coupling..

j
Neil Muncy is the guy I credit with the work. Others have popularized his work but often tilt things or omit things and even get things wrong. I can think of at least three folks who do that.

John,

We really are going to disagree on power cords. An ordinary power cord can have twice or more DC resistance than a ludicrously priced cord. As the current in most linear supplies is compressed to be triple what the power rating would suggest (or more) line resistance can be an issue.

Most folks then go on about how with all the cable from power plant to outlet, how can the cord even count. But as I suspect you know it is not just the source impedance of the power plant. It is the impedance across that provided by all of the loads. The NEC allows a 5% drop to the panel board at full load and another 5% to the outlet. So with a 200 amp panel board a 120 volt line could sag by 6 volts or .06 ohms. (100 amps per side.) For the 20 amp branch circuit that would be .3 ohms worst case. In measurements it is often below .1 ohm. That is why dirty connections and thin cable count for a bit of real improvement in maximum power from an audio power amplifier.

The second issue is that most ludicrously priced power cords include some sort of filtering. The most commonly sold cord (and reasonably priced) wraps the conductors tightly to the ground lead. Others actually build in LC filters.

Now if anyone wishes to try a simple experiment, just take a 24 volt small relay and wire it so that the coil is fed through the Normally Closed contact. This will form a buzzer. Power it from a wall wart. Now place it on the same AC leg as your sound system. Place it in a closet with SY. Have him plug and unplug it and relay A B or X instructions through a third party.

When I try this some gear really does not just get worse it actually sounds broken!

Now as to the Fourth Dimension, even they sound better with a good system!

ES

Last edited by simon7000; 30th April 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:06 PM   #22799
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought we were talking about the one that uses hydrinos and was over unity where the "inconvienient" side effect was the creation of diamonds and other rare earth elements. The testimonials were from several non-existant scientists IIRC. If not, sorry again. I did the KOH and battery thing when I was a kid, fill jars and light it. Unfortunately I wondered what would happen with salt instead and filled my grandmother's basement with clorine gas, run away!

Scott,

Can you point me to some of these sites? Monday is a good day for humor.

BTY folks actually have made unicorns out of horses by adding cells to grow a single horn! (And you though folks here had too much time on their hands!)
Old 30th April 2012, 03:09 PM   #22800
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
John,

We really are going to disagree on power cords.
While you may think we disagree, you've written nothing to support that. Since your argument is unsupported, we clearly agree.

I have not mentioned line sag. What I speak of is entirely independent of that.

Where in code are the 5% numbers you mention. Is it in 2005, 2008, or 2011?

Last I recall, 4% was just a recommendation due to incandescent bulb dimming and what we can see.
j

Hide this!Advertise here!