John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2269 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 11:59 PM   #22681
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

Ciao T
Thorsten,

I have to apologize; I assumed things just keep improving. After evaluating several of the 24/96 small media servers I realize their performance, to say the least, is marginal. I donít get it, my >10yr. old tech Edirol UA-5 has very clean spectra at the output. I guess I need to look into this further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Alles_Ist_Gut.jpg (9.9 KB, 261 views)
Old 25th April 2012, 12:05 AM   #22682
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
It is even better if you don't smoke, that is best left to experimental electronics, and not really even then.
However I can give up smoking (and I plan to do soon), but it won't change the test procedure I prefer. If I can't imagine a live event behind that open windows no blind tests of any kinds, nor any measurements, can convince me that the equipment is better than other that allows to imagine easier as if it does not exist.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:10 AM   #22683
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
What this come down to is that an unbalanced XLR with 1 pin acting as signal earth i.m.o. is the preferable setup.
Pin 1 Problem
Old 25th April 2012, 01:13 AM   #22684
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Just for fun, I thought I would mention some parts change values if overheated during soldering! I have found some caps that lost 80% of their value. The worst resistors gained 15%.
The solder profiles are well specified, if you don't have a tightly controlled pizza oven you are on your own.
Old 25th April 2012, 04:59 AM   #22685
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I have to apologize; I assumed things just keep improving. After evaluating several of the 24/96 small media servers I realize their performance, to say the least, is marginal. I donít get it, my >10yr. old tech Edirol UA-5 has very clean spectra at the output. I guess I need to look into this further.
Well, with respect, DAC Chip's have dis-improved mostly over the last two decades, it is only in the last 5 Years or so that we some positive development again. But at the low end it is a real cabinet of horrors.

Get an EMU 1616m External Soundcard, at least it measures well (sound at best is ordinary), not bad for the 300 or so damp squid... (from quid - pound)

Past that, almost everything cheap is now designed and made in mainland china, where the electronic arts are not even in the stone age yet. Not sure they out of the trees in fact.

Now I do not put much stock into traditional measurements so often my stuff does not measure in this sense, but I have good reasons for doing so (if people here agree with them or not) and my stuff measures different because I know "better" than those who "invented" the measurements (like Harold J. leak who promoted the importance of low (T)HD as means of advertising with zero evidence that it actually mattered).

Much of modern generica tests and measures the way it does because the chinese engineer who designed does not really understand electronics, believes real ground is the same as theoretical ground and has been working from Babelfish translated versions of Datasheets, where he would have struggled to understand a native chinese version.

The results are predictable and can be seen in much of the E-Bay kit(s) coming from that corner of the world. I think most chinese engineers are still in the first decade of the 40-50 Years KBK postulated, many even before them...

Ciao T
Old 25th April 2012, 09:31 AM   #22686
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
... Not sure they out of the trees in fact. ...
Hey, calm down. I wonder how such stuff can escape the moderators.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:49 AM   #22687
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> Past that, almost everything cheap is now designed and made in mainland china, where the electronic arts are not even in the stone age yet.
> Not sure they out of the trees in fact.

I recall your high-end commercial products are also Made in China ?

http://www.ardhowenhifi.com/brands/a...usic-research/

"Based in London with their own manufacturing facilities in China, Abbingdon Music Research was founded in 2006 by Mr P Wayne, Vincent Luke and Thorsten Loesch."

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 25th April 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:37 PM   #22688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I am not convinced about the advantages of tying signal ground to chasis ground. EM coupling between chasis and internal electronic is mentioned as a reason why this should be done, but this would appear only to be true if this EM coupling is just between chasis and signal ground, which of course it is not. Tying chasis ground to earth ground to me seems a better option to bleed off noise current before problems of such nature can even occur. The other reason mentioned to tie signal and chasis earth together is the need to keep the signal grounds in two boxes tied, but this can be done through 1 of the signal leads when using XLR cable and connectors in an unbalanced setup.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:25 PM   #22689
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

2 or 3 immersed shielded boxes would be the cure, as in case of high-end instrumentation.

Audio "high-end" is not about the best possible technical solution, but about belief
Old 25th April 2012, 01:36 PM   #22690
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk7 View Post
Hey, calm down. I wonder how such stuff can escape the moderators.
+1

Hide this!Advertise here!