John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2266 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 03:55 PM   #22651
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I also disagree vehemently. I was part of a case where a small inventor shook down a mega-billion dollar company on a pure bs patent suit, using a law firm on contingency. He ended up getting nearly $4MM in go-away money.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:04 PM   #22652
diyAudio Member

SY,

How old were you kids when you told them there was no Santa Claus?

ES
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:25 PM   #22653
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I also disagree vehemently. I was part of a case where a small inventor shook down a mega-billion dollar company on a pure bs patent suit, using a law firm on contingency. He ended up getting nearly $4MM in go-away money.
I wonder how that translates into a case with a legitimate suit? One would hope for better, but these days I'm not so sure.

Oh well, time to call the police about the breaking-and-entering event I deduced occurred last night, while I was out for a while. Unsuccessful, although whoever it was managed to damage the lock almost to the point I couldn't get in.

There goes (or, rather, there went) the neighborhood.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:29 PM   #22654
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post

How old were you kids when you told them there was no Santa Claus?
Mine was always told that Harry Hannukah was a nice story that only the gullible kids believed.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:33 PM   #22655
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Spoilsport!

Actually I'm so negative about the likelihood of a patent being of benefit to the "small" inventor these days (meaning not affiliated with a big-a$$ corporation) that I am siding with Don Lancaster: publish the idea and hope that at least no one will patent it and exclude your use of it. And you may get contacted for a few crumbs of consulting money, by someone who may wish to use the idea.

Just sayin'. Although my friend and former associate in a failed amplifier company, Dan D., disagrees vehemently, and knows a lot more about patent law than I do (while still not qualified to practice law, he will be swift pointing out).
When the idea is good enough, it may be worth it. I hold one that is still paying for my private research into whatever interests me. Therefore, also small inventors should not be discouraged to put claims on their work. Getting the money is still the hard part, but it can be done.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:36 PM   #22656
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Mine was always told that Harry Hannukah was a nice story that only the gullible kids believed.
I still like Mr Hanky.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:44 PM   #22657
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
I still like Mr Hanky.
Me too. The OTT musical version of the Dreidl Song is on my top 10 of all time list. That's why I'm lame.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:58 PM   #22658
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Oh well
You should get a criminal record and a bat, works wonders (even better when you insult local cops too on a regular basis)
My neighbors just had electric gates installed on both exits of their estate after the Merc SL AMG got stolen (silly git had the thing parked outside 24/7, +€300k new overhere)
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:59 PM   #22659
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
When the idea is good enough, it may be worth it. I hold one that is still paying for my private research into whatever interests me. Therefore, also small inventors should not be discouraged to put claims on their work. Getting the money is still the hard part, but it can be done.
In the "if I knew then what I know now" department, a valuable patent I conceived while a consultant to a large company could have been exploited and I could have worked out a combination of contract compensation along with royalties, as David Griesinger did with Logic Seven. Instead, with no one to push applications, it languishes, the clock ticks away, and it is probably being infringed on at that.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:07 PM   #22660
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
You should get a criminal record and a bat, works wonders (even better when you insult local cops too on a regular basis)
My neighbors just had electric gates installed on both exits of their estate after the Merc SL AMG got stolen (silly git had the thing parked outside 24/7, +€300k new overhere)
Well it's been a decent place for security going on 23 years now, but "the times they are a-changin' ". The particular apartment will lend itself to more interesting defenses beyond the front door lock, as there is a long hallway. One option is to have a shock opportunity at the second portal at the end of the hallway.

Although it is entirely a hunch, I may have a suspect in the form of a recent tenant, to whom I may have made the mistake of mentioning something of value within, and who, by virtue of his parking adjacent to me can easily determine my comings and goings. And yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look. Such men are dangerous. Maybe.

Hide this!Advertise here!