John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting response ... the point is that Tommy is both an extremely accomplished guitarist, and an entertainer - ideal qualities for a busker! Actually capturing an audience with your presence, and patter, is quite a skill ... sometimes the least expected people have that extra 'talent'.

One of the worst in the other direction was Roy Orbison - amazingly flat on stage ...

Interesting response ... the point is that Tommy is both an extremely accomplished guitarist, and an entertainer - ideal qualities for a busker! Actually capturing an audience with your presence, and patter, is quite a skill ... sometimes the least expected people have that extra 'talent'.

One of the worst in the other direction was Roy Orbison - amazingly flat on stage ...

Leo is also known for his banter, I just was saying the fame and appriciation is contained in a certain community. There are several incredibly talented 12 string players that just played and are virtually forgotten. Dick Rosmini and Robbie Basho come to mind.

I have a question about the JC-2 clone I have, is there any fairly easy way to lower the gain so that I can use it as a buffer if I want to?

I see the Halo JC-2 has a couple of small pots fitted to adjust gain, if I can do this with the clone, what would be the best way/place to connect them to the circuit?

Groove Noise

Usually, I don't hear background noise in the electronics, but sometimes I hear the goove noise when playing a record. Guess what, Jack Bybee showed me a way to REMOVE VIRTUALLY ALL the groove noise with a simple quantum part in the input. I will try it at home, soon, but it really works! He did an A-B on his system where the electronics is comparable with mine.

John,

How does he explain this? The groove noise is cartridge output. I would hope that his devices do not attempt to edit the actual output of the cartridge? This is the actual signal being reproduced, even if it is added to by tone arm resonances, bearing noise and other physical noise sources. What would it do with an LP recording of groove noise? Would it take that away as well?

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

1/f Noise Is The Devil....

Reducing very low frequency system noise (<< 20 Hz) by only a couple or few dB reduces a layer of intermod that intrudes over everything in the band of interest (20-20k).

This effective system intermod behaviour of 1/f noise is also spectrally important..ie the nature of the VLF noise imparts a signature/character to the noise/distortion floor.

IME this is a big arbiter of perceived noise/distortion floor, and further affects/effects all standard descriptions of sound quality...ie overall clarity of sound, L/R separation, depth perception etc.....focus, rhythm, timing etc.
When very low frequency noise reduction is applied to both channels coherently, the perceived noise drops further, thus enabling further improved focus, low level detail, and depth information retrieval.

System intermod behaviour also increases/enables/causes audibilty of low frequency noises, so any reduction/change in VLF system noise would serve to reduce/change 'groove' noise.

I expect the Bybee devices are changing VLF noise level/behaviour/spectrum.....not by a lot, but enough to cause an audible difference.

Dan.

Last edited:
The data show otherwise. Not even a peep in 1/f compared to a cheap resistor.

Of course, at the time I was getting data, John kept saying that microwave was the important thing, but then later data showed that this wasn't remarkable either. So I guess we're back to low frequencies.

Sorry, Dan, you're getting taken for a sucker again.

I wouldn't expect a change in the 1/F noise. But as this is not the same device I looked at ...... There is not much to be said from an informed basis.

If there is a perceived difference to the user worth the price asked, why bother, when you can just get a nice smug smile from it.

There are far more dangerous actions based on perceptions to worry about.

Last edited:
Sorry, Dan, you're getting taken for a sucker again.
Lol, I have not bought any BQP's, nor do I subscribe to the mis-explanations given all over the 'net.

I also understand that your testing was not able to glean any odd/unusual transfer characteristics, nor measurable modification of steady state signals (tones).

That said, I am interested to try them in various systems, and to discern the 'reported' subjective differences for myself.
From my understanding of the 'ingredients', I well suspect that I may not "like/enjoy" the signature imparted by BQP's.

Clipping ferrite 'noise stoppers' on system cabling changes the 'signature' of systems, and to my ear, very much so not for the better.
Maybe the BQP's are 'same, but different', in a sense, to industry standard ferrite filters .

Dan.

Last edited:
Reducing very low frequency system noise (<< 20 Hz) by only a couple or few dB reduces a layer of intermod that intrudes over everything in the band of interest (20-20k).

Sub 20Hz filtering requires some pretty large reactances if it is passive, I see no evidence of their existance in this case. Even you said you don't buy into the mechanisms offered in explanation.

Somehow there's something wrong with active filtering?

Cheers BV. I did wonder about doing that, not sure what values to use but I could try a few different ones. I put a miniature stepped pot at the inputs on the rear to limit the input level and was using an external source selector with pot for control. Not so good to use two pots I suppose but it seems to work ok. It's a temporary arrangement until I build a DCB1 but I like the increased dynamics the JC-2 clone produces in my setup.

No, not as such.
However that is altering the signal.
I'm talking about changing very low frequency system noise, and thereby the audible IMD resultant products.
Dan.

Now you are supporting the extraordinary claims, the device is connected to the signal not the system. The system noise exists as an additive electrical signal. Telling the two apart once added passively violates first principles or requires precognition i.e. you build a filter to remove the arm cart resonance, but then you remove any signal there too.

Removing "system" noise in the region of 20Hz and not effecting the "signal" around 20Hz is not possible in the stated manner.

One could also argue removing sub 10Hz noise with a filter does not effect the signal because there is no signal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.