John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 6 percent of U.S. students performed at the advanced level on an International exam administerd in 56 countries in 2006 !

I'd like to see the same results for the origins of game changing "innovation". I put innovation in quotes because I personally feel social networking is de-evolutionary. Are we not men?

Ghoul Power!

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
speaking of ghoul power, zombie appetizers?

Neurodevelopment
Lab Dishes Up Mini-Brains
Gretchen Vogel

Many neuroscientists are thrilled at the possibility of studying cell clusters, no bigger than apple seeds, dubbed "cerebral organoids." These semiorganized knots of neural tissue, grown from human embryonic stem cells, contain the rudiments of key parts of the human brain, including the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex. Developmental geneticist Madeline Lancaster and her colleagues, who grew the organoids in a Vienna laboratory, have already shown that they can be used to probe how normal human brain development goes awry in a genetic brain disorder.

(from Science)

It is those 6% who will make the difference and that has probably always been the case. How few ever go out on their own and develop a new product or invent something new? Those same few will continue to do what they have always done. the real problem will be finding workers who can fill the needs that those 6% create. It takes more than just education, it takes a certain type who believes enough in themselves to do what others wont, not just follow the leader or have the best degrees from college. There will be plenty of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who perhaps aren't even well liked or even really inventive but are willing to take a chance. It does take all kinds to drive innovation. To often the real smart people I have known are either not willing to take risks or are comfortable making a nice salary, they want guarantees and would never go outside the box.

I try to raise the Barr when I socially network. But I may be pi$$ing in the wind.

The Ghoul in this case is 70's bad sci-fi TV host exrtrodinaire. I think a very positive role model, I have been criticized for being too negative lately (again) irreversible resistors and directional cable and all that lot brings out the best in me.

Folks still don't get it HD2 from a resistor with no DC signal component, means the resistance is different if +1 or -1 V is across it. Please provide the measurements.

Last edited:
Passing the knowledge

As much as I would love to share my 30+ years of electronics, I have no one to share it with other than members of this forum.
Kids just want to play with their handheld toys these days.
<snip>

Slightly OT, but also related.

Risk Management of Knowledge Loss in Nuclear Industry Organizations.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1248_web.pdf

Maintaining nuclear competencies in the nuclear industry and in nuclear regulatory bodies will be one of the most critical challenges in the near future. As nuclear experts around the world retire, they are taking with them a substantial amount of knowledge and corporate memory. The loss of such employees, who hold knowledge critical to both operations and safety, poses a clear internal threat to the safe and reliable operation of nuclear facilities.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Come on George this is real DIY, mailing tube and sheet plastic and a re-purposed cheap computer speaker. :)

IMO, one is always benefited by reading everything that is practiced at the high level laboratories, especially so when resources dedicated for a diy project are to be limited.
Limitations of various implementations have already been checked, so there is much less “guesswork” for the diy experimenter.
:)
George

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess maybe the low o/l bw is one reason why so many high fb class b amplifiers sound alike. Thanks JC

Indeed. Ideally, one competent amp should not sound different from another competent amp.

jan

PS Listening to Dire Straits on a modified QUAD 44 preamp through PassCamp 6W SE solid state and single driver wideband 5 inch Tangbands. Not half bad.

Scott
Attached a resistor with second harmonic distortion without DC being applied.

SY
How much mass does your finger have?

ES

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 182
Scott
Attached a resistor with second harmonic distortion without DC being applied.

SY
How much mass does your finger have?

ES

Several papers have been published about first and third IMD making a very small second component due to the way the distortion is being measured, please remember the gold standard CLT1 is tuned to the third harmonic for a reason. Most of these things are related to detailed examination of the thermal environment.

The researhers found lots of second order details. Anyway we were talking about dominant seconds you know the ones that give that muddy tube sound. If the presence of -130db seconds with the thirds 30dB higher is obviously audible please provide evidence. Also please find some resistors that measures a different resistance when you swap leads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.