Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 09:18 PM   #21011
diyAudio Member

Well PMA, see you in the audio world. Keep your 7th, if you wish.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:55 PM   #21012
Bonsai is online now Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Spot on John as you can see I agree. Measurements are a good place to start then we listen.
Now that's more like it (the XP 20, that is)

Old 1st March 2012, 10:24 PM   #21013
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
[snip] bcarso - Anthony's Pier 4 (of all places) had DRC Montrachet on the wine list at $60 in 1977.
We will stop this off-topic stuff soon, but I drank two of those in ~1970, of a total production as shown on the serialized labels of 2,160 bottles. The liquor store-down-the-street's proprietor was a close friend of the Wildman rep. I later learned, who had at that time the DRC line and as well Comte de Vogüé etc., which accounted for a lot of amazing wines there, especially the burgundies, which I just supposed was a selection typical for liquor stores

I thought they were awfully expensive for a white wine --- but then 19.95 was a lot of money in those days, especially based on what I was making at UCLA. Romanee Conti herself was all of 29.95.

"Those days are gone forever, Over a long time ago, Oh Yeah"
Old 1st March 2012, 10:54 PM   #21014
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
We will stop this off-topic stuff soon, but I drank two of those in ~1970, of a total production as shown on the serialized labels of 2,160 bottles.
Just one more, this was a dinner of the most rare/obscure whites with lobster. Musigny Blanc Vogue, DRC Montrachet, Clos Blanc de Vougeot, and 1967 d'Yquem. I think we came in at <$70 a head for 4 persons, yes those days are gone. I never would have figured you for a wine geek.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:05 PM   #21015
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Just one more, this was a dinner of the most rare/obscure whites with lobster. Musigny Blanc Vogue, DRC Montrachet, Clos Blanc de Vougeot, and 1967 d'Yquem. I think we came in at <$70 a head for 4 persons, yes those days are gone. I never would have figured you for a wine geek.
The last one:
back in 1984 I bought a bottle of port-wine from Massandra, 1946. I don't like alcohol, but that bottle was special. When I drunk it the impression was I can drink a bucket, so tasty it was, from first to last sip.

However it did not look like on the picture below, but was dusty and one side of the bottle was flatter.

10 of the world's most expensive bottles of wine - Telegraph
Old 1st March 2012, 11:08 PM   #21016
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

We used to have a Thunderbird Award during multibottle evenings (of which we had plenty- Brad may or may not be familiar with the old Wine Box) for the first bottle that got drained.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:12 PM   #21017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One night at Chez Wood circa 1982: 1945 La Tache, 1959 d'Yquem. Both utterly perfect, couldn't imagine better. I later noticed that Michael Broadbent rated each six out of a possible five stars My friend Kathy has a 375ml 1967 Yquem I've been storing for her, and I have one 1959 left. But what is the occasion going to be?? Of course, the occasion will be drinking the wine.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:19 PM   #21018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
One night at Chez Wood circa 1982: 1945 La Tache, 1959 d'Yquem. Both utterly perfect, couldn't imagine better. I later noticed that Michael Broadbent rated each six out of a possible five stars My friend Kathy has a 375ml 1967 Yquem I've been storing for her, and I have one 1959 left. But what is the occasion going to be?? Of course, the occasion will be drinking the wine.
I'm out now just one bottle left, my wife's birthday wine 1948 Graham.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:20 PM   #21019
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The 1850 Verdelho we drank was your birth year?
Old 1st March 2012, 11:28 PM   #21020
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
We used to have a Thunderbird Award during multibottle evenings (of which we had plenty- Brad may or may not be familiar with the old Wine Box) for the first bottle that got drained.
If that's the one on Platt, it changed hands and that's in fact where I store now. Very nice space, and perfect for it to be subterranean. In the middle of a very hot summer, the new guy said during a three-day power outage the temp rose to 68F while it was over 100 outside.

I did get tired of "tastings" for the most part after a Wine House tasting, in which everyone was preferring the 1975 Mouton to lesser but far-more-enjoyable and ready-to-drink pours, entirely because the Mouton was more expensive. Of course we were all drinking too much. Not that that's such a bad thing.

The Wildman rep., whom I got to know slightly, reported on an evening with another wine rep in which they consumed first a magnum of 1959 La Tache, and then I believe two bottles of 1959 Bernkasteler Doctor Dr. Thanisch TBA. And both wines woefully way too young. I'm surprised they weren't transported at once to the ring of hell for gluttons, but maybe the call for their souls from the infanticide dept. was conflicting and it saved them

Hide this!Advertise here!