John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 2099 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 02:55 PM   #20981
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Presumably, your design will have your typical excellent performance. I can't argue against satisfying a fashion niche with a competently designed product.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:57 PM   #20982
diyAudio Member

Sometimes it is hard to tell what exactly is in that Picasso painting. Three?

Scott, if you keep explaining to folks what all those funny lines mean, you might have to go somewhere else. Uninformed inflamed opinions are the key to keeping threads interesting.

ES

Last edited by simon7000; 1st March 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:03 PM   #20983
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Some. Not a lot, IMO, especially the latter.

BTW, it wasn't a THD measurement, it was a full distortion spectrum. And as you alluded to, a horrifically poor and load-dependent frequency response.
Wide spectrum of distortions - yes, power supply filtering could be better - yes, high output resistance - yes, but where did you get that "poor and load dependent frequency response" from? As far as I know, any amp with high output resistance being loaded on frequency - dependent load would show that. Including your Red Light District.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:23 PM   #20984
diyAudio Moderator

The RLD is a cheap little amp with orders of magnitude better distortion and ten times lower output impedance. And I don't sell it.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:38 PM   #20985
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Please remember that
1 Japanese out of 75 is a high net worth individual, and of them, 8 of 10 are pre-'55 generation.
Sitting ducks, marketing wise.

(me Always see giant boobs in PP-Paintings, save the Japan series, that has other giant parts)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 1st March 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:39 PM   #20986
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The RLD is a cheap little amp with orders of magnitude better distortion and ten times lower output impedance. And I don't sell it.
It does not matter if you sell it or not. Just load equivalently to it's output resistance to match load of that blamed amp in respect to it's output resistance and measure.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:49 PM   #20987
diyAudio Member

It is interesting that 'fashion' is mentioned.
This started with Mark Levinson when he first worked with Dick Burwen, back about 1972. Mark hired a designer to make his LNP-2 preamp, and LNC-2 crossover, and some pro mixer cases. Dick instructed Mark on how to make first class supporting circuitry, and Dick supplied the active modules that made them work.
Later, when Japan became an important customer for this sort of high fidelity, we had to put a great deal of effort into 'fit and finish' in order to satisfy the customers.
In the case of the JC-80, the Japanese importer had his own gold plated boards made especially for Japan, and put in at the factory in the USA.
Later, when this same importer brought Vendetta Research into Japan, he was constantly complaining about 'details' such as connecting wire, connectors, etc. He also changed the price from $2500 (USA retail) to $7500, and he bought them from me for $1500 or less. You can imagine how I felt, getting only 20% of the final price for all my effort to make them.
Still, look, fit and finish is just as important to the people who buy these components as does the sound quality, and we have to allow for it, or just sell to a local market to a few friends. That's reality, folks!
Old 1st March 2012, 03:50 PM   #20988
diyAudio Moderator

Since the source impedance is ten times lower, the frequency response variations will be ten times lower.

I did not design my amp to drive 0R5 loads. The Wavac is sold to drive (more or less) 8R loads. That's the target of my design as well.
Old 1st March 2012, 03:55 PM   #20989
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
In the case of the JC-80, the Japanese importer had his own gold plated boards made especially for Japan, and put in at the factory in the USA.
Later, when this same importer brought Vendetta Research into Japan, he was constantly complaining about 'details' such as connecting wire, connectors, etc. He also changed the price from $2500 (USA retail) to $7500, and he bought them from me for $1500 or less. You can imagine how I felt, getting only 20% of the final price for all my effort to make them.
Still, look, fit and finish is just as important to the people who buy these components as does the sound quality, and we have to allow for it, or just sell to a local market to a few friends. That's reality, folks!
Can't argue that at all, you gotta eat. I remember reading an Asian audio review magazine some years back where one of the most important factors in the ratings was "prestige."
Old 1st March 2012, 04:03 PM   #20990
diyAudio Member

Well, thank you very much, SY, yes, I have to 'eat' and we found that it just was not worth it to make CTC Blowtorch preamps after the initial run. No profit in it.

Hide this!Advertise here!