John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1953 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2011, 05:16 PM   #19521
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
That's the point, when people trying to equalize the system equalize wrong things caused by placement of the measurement microphone in the room. What has to be equalized only, bumps of speakers that will exist no matter how good they are made mechanically. Low Q resonances are more audible as coloration, but they are less audible when equalized. The higher is Q of mechanical resonances, the worse are results of equaization, though without equalization they are heard less than low Q resonances.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 21st December 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 21st December 2011, 06:17 PM   #19522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
It turns out I probably met Leo busking in the midwest around 1966. All I remember is someone asking "Why the 12 string?" and he answered "Because it's twice as hard to play". No one else could have said that AND play like that.
Before he played at Wildwood his guitar case's hasp had cut his left index finger with a big painful gash (and he's right handed). He never mentioned it to the house and nobody but he and I knew that the little jar he periodically dipped his finger into was some kind of painkiller/ blood clotter. He also played at least 45 minutes before going to a bottleneck.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 21st December 2011, 06:29 PM   #19523
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
NO, in 1977 or later, they went away from the 'Wall of Sound' that took an extended family of 100 to maintain, and went to another sound system. In 1974 it was all WoS, 1975 too. I was there, sometimes, seeing it implemented.
I got the year pretty wrong; I'm sorry. Wikipedia has a very interesting entry about the Wall of Sound, and a certain person "of Alembic" is mentioned...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of...ateful_Dead%29

and http://www.dozin.com/wallofsound/index.html

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Chris Hornbeck; 21st December 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 21st December 2011, 06:38 PM   #19524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
Before he played at Wildwood his guitar case's hasp had cut his left index finger with a big painful gash (and he's right handed). He never mentioned it to the house and nobody but he and I knew that the little jar he periodically dipped his finger into was some kind of painkiller/ blood clotter. He also played at least 45 minutes before going to a bottleneck.

Thanks,
Chris
Best I heard was at Symphony Hall in Boston in 1975, I remember it as using little or no sound system. He broke a string and had to leave the stage to recompose himself. I don't like his usual venue here at Harvard that much even though I can walk there.
Old 21st December 2011, 06:43 PM   #19525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Best I heard was at Symphony Hall in Boston in 1975, I remember it as using little or no sound system. He broke a string and had to leave the stage to recompose himself. I don't like his usual venue here at Harvard that much even though I can walk there.
I have not seen yet sound systems' installations that are good for natural voices and acoustic instruments. That's why I work in this niche. He is going to be here in San Francisco in February, may be I will have some prototype then to try...
Old 21st December 2011, 06:53 PM   #19526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I have not seen yet sound systems' installations that are good for natural voices and acoustic instruments. That's why I work in this niche.
We used LaScala's (donated by PWK himself!) for FOH, but the room hardly needed SR anyway. Seats 630, thrust stage, no proscenium, designed for opera. Not really hi-fi, but not loud and often not noticable. I'm still proud of that.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 21st December 2011, 07:11 PM   #19527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
I got the year pretty wrong; I'm sorry. Wikipedia has a very interesting entry about the Wall of Sound, and a certain person "of Alembic" is mentioned...

Wall of Sound (Grateful Dead) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and The Wall of SOUND
Also, John Curl told me once, that after they replaced tube amps by transistor ones result was worse. Why, if according to Stereophile tests solid state amps should sound more naturally with real speakers, since they have lower output resistance?
Old 21st December 2011, 07:13 PM   #19528
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Production versus reproduction. Giant effects box. Perhaps John didn't like the reduction in the effect.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:16 PM   #19529
diyAudio Member

I bought my 12 string guitar in 1963. At the time, I had a classical guitar and a 50's Fender Stratocaster as well.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:29 PM   #19530
diyAudio Member

Alembic History - Long Version

Hide this!Advertise here!