John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question Frank should have asked is whether sound quality of the BT is inferior to contemporary opamp based preamps, not the other way round.
He could easily find out for himself by breadboarding a transconductance stage à la Mr Uskokovic, and ordering a 797 pair.
If he favors the second option, fine. If it's the first, then Frank is in trouble.
The real point is whether both have sufficient transparency -- the presence or absence of either should be inaudible, that's the name of the game. SY suggests that they would compare comfortably, be both "invisible" -- if that's the case then such an opamp, suitably enclosed, should do the job well enough ...

But, as John has mentioned many times, and has also very much been in my experience, it's all the little, seemingly irrelevant, very minor aspects that can add up and make a component that is nominally transparent not so in real life ...

The real angle I come from, is whether the system "works". And the means I use for assessing this, is whether the speakers are "invisible" or not, at all listening volumes. I've mentioned this a number of times, and a significant number of people understand the concept.

The components that make up the system are merely links in the chain that enables this to happen, so part of the exercise is to optimise each link so that it plays its part correctly, ensuring that that particular element is not the "weak link".

So, for me, transparency equals a component that allows the disappearing speaker trick to work; it's a very simple, but powerful measuring stick ...

Interesting the musical memories one has, they lodge deep if truly memorable: I was on holiday overseas, backpacking as a youngie, and ventured into a small church as a by the way thing to do, somewhere in Germany I think it was, no idea where any more. There was a modest pipe organ, and lo and behold, the Bach Tocato took off, in all its glory, soon after I went in. As the last notes faded, a voice said something to the effect of "And again!" - a master class was apparently in session, and the "student" was on repeat mode. Glorious note after glorious note rang out - I was in heaven!

Like superbly rich chocolate, there was only so much that was reasonable to bear, so I moved on during one of the episodes ...

Last edited:
He's more of a project guy, newbuilds and conversions, and bored fast. (his own words, temperamentful guy)

Mr Setton sold his 200ft yacht to Larry Page a couple of years ago.(Senses)
Early '90s, he had a 255ft explorer yacht built in Germany.

His last one for sale, named after Gianni Agnelli ; Ciao Gianni Yacht - Photo Gallery & Specification
The converted former US south-cast fish trawler, I posted a picture of, is also still for sale (Pink Shrimp)

Jackie on the wheel of his 110ft cat : Sailing onboard the maxi cat Swift | Yachting World

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Ok, I say goodbye to all the talented members of this thread, they will recognize themselves. I took great pleasure to share with you, learned interesting things, and appreciated your friendly community.
There are things I wish above all, technical relevance, equity, and freedom of expression are included.

Where are you going? What will you do?
When will you come back? Soon?

Thanks for all your input and sharing -- Richard Marsh

PS - I think I saw you over at solid state -- sharing with LC.

Last edited:
Yea who would have thunk a video disk with a stylus won't make it into the next decade.

RCA Victor? You know the folks who set out to beat the Edison cylinder. Can't imagine why the last of the Victor Recording Machine folks would try to keep the same technology into the video age.

It really was a good example of completely in the box thinking. If you look at many innovations before they happened the same goal was reached by a more cumbersome technique and the innovation did a better job with less complexity.

A good example were the TV Typewriters. The very first versions used a series of diode curve generators to create letter segments that were called up with a ROM to form letters. The next generation just used a ROM to form dot based characters. Then as technology advance you got the first video processors. More complex and faster but far better.

It is a little premature to comment, but during this quiet time, I would like to say that today I get my first IC based power amp.
We have been working on this design for several years, we even took it to the Rocky Mountain show one year. It is the original prototype, with updates, that we showed several years ago, that I am getting.
In trade, I have to assist my fellow engineer in putting together a couple of CTC Blowtorch circuit boards, as he wants them to complete his phono system.
The latest amplifier in this series is rated at 350W rather than 250W, so while the prototype is powerful enough for me, the new version will fill a larger number of potential customers, if we ever put it into production.
Both these amps contain variable voltage switching supplies, as well as a lot of confidential stuff, that even I don't understand as of yet. I heard it before, but never in my home. We shall see. '-)

Both these amps contain variable voltage switching supplies,....
Aha, that explains it!
I remember awhile ago you mentioned working on a high efficiency power amp. At the time I thought that was a little odd - seemed to go against your general preference for class A or heavily biased class AB.

I heard it before, but never in my home. We shall see. '-)
And report back, I hope.:)

Marce, I don't do the layouts, so I can't really say. However, they are so much more sophisticated than amateur layouts that there is little comparison.
My associate Carl Thompsen has done professional layouts with major companies for about 35-40 years. He now works at home, with some relatively expensive software. I leave it to him.

Marce, I don't do the layouts, so I can't really say. However, they are so much more sophisticated than amateur layouts that there is little comparison.

Oh please. You say you don't do the layouts so you can't say anything about them. But yet you can say that they're so much more sophisticated than amateur layouts that there's little comparison. That's just a flat out insult, John.

Though I certainly hope the board layout was at least a little more sophisticated than that rats nest of wiring you had inside that thing.

se

I have been designing my own circuits, since 1968, or 45 years. Usually, I have someone else do the circuit boards. At Ampex, it was an associate, at Alembic, it was my boss, in Switzerland it was a young tech that we hired, and I was so impressed with his work, that I recommended him to Mark Levinson, Gale, and ultimately Symmetry, to do the layouts, circuit diagrams and general wiring.
Unfortunately, he went blind (from diabetes) in 1980, so I had to find someone else. I hired a very nice guy who did competent work, but he needed a full time job, and I could not offer it to him, so I recommended him to Dolby and he may still be there today.
In about 1983, I met Carl Thompsen, who was working at Schlumberger in Silicon Valley, making boards for advanced test equipment to test IC's while in production.
He knocked me out with what he could do at the time with his 1 million dollar computer (maybe $1000 today) 30 years ago. In any case we have been working together, at some level, ever since.
He designed the boards for the Vendetta, Lineage, Parasound JC series, and the CTC Blowtorch preamps. All of our boards are double ground plane shielded, with conducting thru holes, usually plated with something, originally solder, later gold, and still later, hi tech films made for fast computers.
I could ask him how many layers in each design, but he is not up yet. Maybe later. However, audio, for him, is relatively easy, technically, but like me, he likes to find the BEST POSSIBLE SOLUTION, rather than just another layout. Without him, I would not get the same performance from my designs.

"special PCB technique" - like this?
scp-2a-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.