John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1804 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2011, 05:15 PM   #18031
diyAudio Member

While I would agree that the Nakamichi was a pretty good cassette recorder, it was not the very best that could be done. I know, because I designed much more sophisticated electronics, in 1978 for HK. Unfortunately, my design was never put into production, but the essential circuitry that I developed was quickly applicable to designing all discrete 30 ips electronics for a Studer transport, within 6 mo, for Mobile Fidelity.
One factor was the bass coupling caps that I really improved on. However, even the Nak, used very traditional, simple electronics, with cap coupling absolutely necessary.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:21 PM   #18032
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
It would appear to this engineer that it is the ANALOG part of the electronics that is the primary weakness. Digital seems to be working as expected. Perhaps that is a good part of the bass problem.
John, I doubt the analog section was used in this case.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post2784802
As I read it, it was the down-sampling to 44.1K that caused the difference in the bass. That was likely not done in the analog domain. Joachim?
Old 17th November 2011, 06:16 PM   #18033
diyAudio Member

I think it's completely safe to say that the Nakamichi electronics was very good in its consumer electronics setting of the time, but not remotely John Curl quality. Didn't have to be, it was just a cassette tape after all.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 17th November 2011, 07:11 PM   #18034
diyAudio Member

MY cassette tape recorder would have changed the industry standard. Why not?
Old 17th November 2011, 07:27 PM   #18035
diyAudio Member

Nakamichi in its day was accused of moving the goalposts by re-interpreting the original (Philips?) specs for standard playback. Their contention (from memory - add granular NaCl) was that their gap losses were correct and everybody else was out of step. They were probably righter than not, but whadda I know?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 17th November 2011, 07:34 PM   #18036
diyAudio Member

They were good products, I have one, myself, but they were NOT mastering quality electronics. And I suspect that modern digital recorders, in general, have the same failings.
Old 17th November 2011, 07:51 PM   #18037
diyAudio Member

Recorders as a class have the un-enviable position of being subject to a straight-wire bypass comparison. That's a tough test, depending on good quality source material, environment, yada-yada, but at least the standard of comparison is completely unambiguous: is it different or is it ain't?

I've finally gotten old enough that I can't tell the difference between an A/D/A copy of commercially available source material and a bypass, using a good modern A/D/A of course.
Probably wouldn't apply to everybody, but good enough for me is good enough for me. Leaves me more time to bitch about other stuff!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 17th November 2011, 07:55 PM   #18038
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hornbeck View Post
I've finally gotten old enough that I can't tell the difference between an A/D/A copy of commercially available source material and a bypass, using a good modern A/D/A of course.
No one else ever has, either, assuming levels are set correctly. So enjoy your golden years.
Old 17th November 2011, 07:56 PM   #18039
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
No one else ever has, either, assuming levels are set correctly.
You seem to know everything
Old 17th November 2011, 08:01 PM   #18040
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, but I do know a few things.

Yes, I'll allow the philosophical possibility that someone has set up a controlled listening test, demonstrated the audibility of an ADA chain, then not published this remarkable result anywhere.

Hide this!Advertise here!