John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1799 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 06:07 PM   #17981
diyAudio Member

I have seen some of the old Telefunken, etc. master recorders. They were beautiful in mechanical design and construction.
Now, imagine this: Take a modern Studer transport, put all discrete electronics in it, phase compensated, Class A. Use the same width tracks and tape speed as the Germans did in WW2, but with modern tape and perhaps 5 times higher bias frequency. What do you get?
Old 16th November 2011, 06:08 PM   #17982
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

The tapes had probably deteriorated quite a bit by the time they were transferred. I'm under the impression that some of the tapes were steel ribbon. A lot of that stuff was stored after the war in an Army warehouse in Cincinnati. I friend of mine acquired a Magnetophon machine from that facility (as well as a rocket motor from an Me 263!) and he said it was pretty awesome.

John
Old 16th November 2011, 06:12 PM   #17983
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
The old magnetic wire recordings could be edited in the same essential way as tape based on what I heard
Oh yeah, wire recorders! I had forgotten about them. (ask SY who invented the wire recorder). I've seen them "spliced" with a simple knot in the wire. It works.
Old 16th November 2011, 06:19 PM   #17984
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Take a modern Studer transport, put all discrete electronics in it, phase compensated, Class A. Use the same width tracks and tape speed as the Germans did in WW2, but with modern tape and perhaps 5 times higher bias frequency. What do you get?
Something which works almost as well as a $600 Fostex recorder that's not based on stone knives and bearskins.
Old 16th November 2011, 06:21 PM   #17985
diyAudio Member

Thanks SY, for your input.
Old 16th November 2011, 07:34 PM   #17986
diyAudio Member

Well,

I got my speaker bracket shipped out today! Three more and everything will be on schedule.

Just got in an RCA 70 C-1 transcription turntable with some spare parts and the original manual!

Have to sim and expand on the series amplifier noise modulation issues latter.
Old 16th November 2011, 07:38 PM   #17987
diyAudio Member

Dick Sequerra prefers the Korg.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:31 PM   #17988
diyAudio Member

John,

Here are similar circuits but with low and almost matching values.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Op Amp Noise Low R.JPG (42.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 16th November 2011, 08:33 PM   #17989
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Oh man!
Having serviced Studer, Revox, Otari, Tascam, Fostex (horrible crap!), Scully, Ampex and MCI - I'm wondering why the question was even brought up?? Much of the earlier Studer was discrete. Thank god they got into IC's so they could EQ the head bumps out! Doing that the old way would have consumed ridiculous amounts of power.

Anyway John, all pre-IC electronics were "class A" until you got to power output stages. I'm pretty sure the industry had a great understanding of how to squeeze the last bit of performance out of a discrete circuit.

I've always wondered how good a machine Nakamichi would have produced had they gone after the open reel market though. Those guys really understood low noise signal amplification, perhaps more than people are generally aware.

-Chris
Old 16th November 2011, 08:40 PM   #17990
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
I've always wondered how good a machine Nakamichi would have produced had they gone after the open reel market though. Those guys really understood low noise signal amplification, perhaps more than people are generally aware.
They used a very elegant approach to *eliminate* ground contamination caused by the (series) power supply regulators too. And lots of Toshiba FETs!

Thanks,
Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!