John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1798 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2011, 03:25 PM   #17971
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Just curious, have there ever been any D2D orchestral performances that were exciting? Within the genres I favor, I can't think of any jazz D2Ds that I'd listen to more than once.
Wasn't everything before the second war D2D? And everything before the first war D2D acoustic? No good performances recorded from 1878 to 1945?
Old 16th November 2011, 03:32 PM   #17972
diyAudio Member

Ed is busy doing 'honest' work at the moment, so it may be awhile.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:56 PM   #17973
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Wasn't everything before the second war D2D? And everything before the first war D2D acoustic? No good performances recorded from 1878 to 1945?
Sure- with very limited dynamics and pretty awful sound. Modern (post 1970, say) D2D? Just the opposite- some inspired sound, flabby music.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:04 PM   #17974
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Germany developed "high Fidelity" tape recordings from before through WW2 together with other rather exceptional Audio technologies.

First high fidelity stereophonic recordings took place in Germany in '43, possibly '42. On some of the recordings you supposedly can hear the AckAck going off in the background, but the Orchestra played on, single take as well, fuer fuehrer, volk und vaterland (I am being ironic).

Monitored via 2-Way coincident (not just coaxial, but also timealigned and pulse coherent) Speakers driven from "Current Source" open loop amplifiers.

Microphones where those 1" Neumann ones Scott is so fond of. Electronics Telefunken/TAB.

The recordings I have come across transferred to CD are quite something.

One might almost say that in the 60 Years hence not a lot of real progress has been made and we are back where it all started so many years ago in Berlin...

Ciao T
Old 16th November 2011, 05:17 PM   #17975
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks TL. But basically tape recording and editing wasn't common until after the war, right? Only sound on film was commonly edited before that.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:26 PM   #17976
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
First high fidelity stereophonic recordings took place in Germany in '43, possibly '42. On some of the recordings you supposedly can hear the AckAck going off in the background, but the Orchestra played on, single take as well, fuer fuehrer, volk und vaterland (I am being ironic).
I have several cds and lps of those performances and the fidelity is fairly low and distortion is quite audible. On one you can hear the low rumble of anti-aircraft artillery in the distance, probably large caliber guns like the 12.8cm FlaK.

The funny part is on one of the records during the first movement you can hear a solitary, persistent coughing - it stops suddenly before the next movement begins. The joke was that the culprit was taken from the building and shot.

John

Last edited by jlsem; 16th November 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:35 PM   #17977
diyAudio Member

Tape recording was editable during WW2, and I can believe that it was used on occasion, BUT its real job was to record an actual performance, and play it back on AM radio, either at another time or from another city. It fooled the Allies, because they could not believe that there were recordings of such quality, and they seemingly heard a 'live' broadcast coming from a city that was recently bombed. This is what got the Americans interested in 'stealing' the technology after the war. This is Ampex history, in fact.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:48 PM   #17978
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Pano,

Quote:
Thanks TL. But basically tape recording and editing wasn't common until after the war, right? Only sound on film was commonly edited before that.
The old magnetic wire recordings could be edited in the same essential way as tape based on what I heard (with difficulty, buy cutting and splicing), but I think major editing was not used until the 50's.

As I was not in the industry (or even alive in this particular corporeal incarnation, come to that) at the time that is based on hear-say and guess-work.

As for the quality of these tapes... They where very degraded when converted. Unlike non-biodegradable Seedees, tape does not age well.

Ciao T
Old 16th November 2011, 05:51 PM   #17979
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post

Microphones where those 1" Neumann ones Scott is so fond of. Electronics Telefunken/TAB.
I don't recall stating a preferece. I have a great photo of one in "use" in 1943, but I'm afraid it might offend certain sensibilities. Instead....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaannn.jpg (94.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 16th November 2011, 05:59 PM   #17980
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
I have several cds and lps of those performances and the fidelity is fairly low and distortion is quite audible. On one you can hear the low rumble of anti-aircraft artillery in the distance, probably large caliber guns like the 12.8cm FlaK.

The funny part is on one of the records during the first movement you can hear a solitary, persistent coughing - it stops suddenly before the next movement begins. The joke was that the culprit was taken from the building and shot.

John
I agree the CD transfers of the magnetophon recordings I have have a lot of distortion and other defects. A question would be, are they directly from the originals?

BTW my father was on the other end of that flak.

Hide this!Advertise here!